10 Ways To Make The Most Of Your 2020 Summer If You Live In Phoenix, AZ

Arizona is known for its heat, but there's so much more here than just the desert.

76
Photo by Mitchell Zimmermann

Arizona has some of the best outdoor hiking trails in the country. Phoenix offers top restaurants, as well as unique museums and other activities. Although coronavirus cases are spiking here, if cases begin to decline, Phoenix will be able to host some awesome events and activities for everyone.

1. Phoenix Zoo

The Phoenix Zoo is one of the most unique zoos in the United States. The zoo offers 'Winter in July' where they bring in tons of fake snow for kids and families to play with. The animals here are unique to parts of the Southwest and other hotter climates like the Middle East.

2. Changing Hands bookstore

If you like to enjoy reading, this is the bookstore for you. Changing Hands has been a Phoenix staple for over 40 years. They are one of the only independent bookstores in Phoenix and they offer several unique reads. Most people stay inside during the summer, and reading is a great way to pass the time.

3. Go ice skating.

Yes, you read that right. Several people in Arizona not only know how to ice skate, but they do it regularly. There are several indoor rinks around the Valley and it's a great way to cool down during the summer. Several rinks host birthday parties and it's a unique way to stay active!

4. Butterfly Wonderland

Butterfly Wonderland has indoor exhibits for people to see some of the coolest species of the winged insect. Kids can have butterflies land on them, and you can take beautiful pictures of these animals.

5. Arizona Science Center 

The Arizona Science Center is one of the best science museums in the Southwest. There are live demonstrations in the center held for around 20 minutes each day, and they are great for kids. I had prom here a few years ago and it was so cool!

6. Wonderspaces Arizona

Wonderspaces Arizona is one of the coolest things you need to check out on this list. Instagrammable museums have become super popular recently, and this one has the best photo opportunities. The space showcases art projects from all around the world, like the famous "submergence."

7. Get Ice Cream at the Sugar Bowl.

The Sugar Bowl is in neighboring Scottsdale, but you need to go here. It is an old-fashioned ice cream parlor with pink accents everywhere. They're have amazing ice cream, and an old antique store right next door!

8. Scottsdale ArtWalk

This is a great way to beat the heat and support local artists! The Scottsdale ArtWalk has some of the most unique and special art here in AZ. The ArtWalk has been around for almost 40 years, and it's become a staple of Scottsdale.

9. Los Sombreros

Are you a Mexican food fanatic like me? You need to try Los Sombreros. They have some really creative tacos, and every single one is amazing. Their house salsa is so good, and you can tell the menu was crafted with love in mind.

10. Press Coffee

Press Coffee is so good. They have some awesome creative drinks to dry, and their baristas know their stuff. They really take the time to create awesome drinks, and everything you get here is top-notch.