10 Ways to Get to Know Your Hall Mates

10 Ways to Get to Know Your Hall Mates

21

College can be intimidating. You're in a place you don't know, surrounded by people you don't know, and sometimes it feels like you have no idea what you're doing. Trust me on this, everyone else feels the same way. But somehow, that intense awkwardness brings people together, so here are 10 ways to bond with your hall mates:

1. Tell them EVERY detail about your past life

For some reason, we are all compelled to tell each other "fun facts" about ourselves, but at a certain point, your hall mates will know more about you than some of your high school friends might have... because you tell them everything. It's not weird to talk about yourself anymore, because everyone is doing it.

2. Go through freshman orientation together

Oh, freshman orientation, otherwise known as "forced fun". People bond over common complaints, and in this case, everyone has complaints. I'm not saying we don't appreciate the hours of work put in trying to make our very first college experiences great, but we are 18 years old (for the most part). However, we definitely bond over the jokes that came out of that orientation.

3. Sleep in other people's beds

This is a joke. Kind of. By sleeping in other people's beds, I mean spend so much time in other people's rooms that they can't help but get to know you. Hang out until you physically can't stay awake, and I promise you will know those people much faster than if you stayed in your own room.

4. Eat each other's food

Trade Easy Mac and other microwavable foods your mom never let you eat... until now. If you give someone some mac 'n cheese one day, they'll have to pay you back later with more food. Free food is everything in college. Of course, try to eat healthy, because it is deeply tempting not to, but take advantage of the free bagels they put out once a week.

5. Really awkward Icebreakers

These go back to freshman orientation, but every now and then someone will think of an answer that will make you laugh until you fall out of a chair, or they will be so awkward that it will become a joke later on that you can laugh about. They may be dumb, but they do work.

6. Have a quote wall

Every now and then, someone will say something hilarious. By keeping track of these great moments, you'll be able to look back at the end of the year and think about all of those moments. And as people get more comfortable around each other, they get funnier.

7. Play music in the hallways...

Music is a great way to bond with others. You would be surprised at how many people share the same taste in music. Some people have many tastes in music, especially depending on mood.

8. ...But be respectful of their sleep and homework obligations

You don't want to be obnoxious. If someone is trying to do work, don't be annoying. Don't make them call Public Safety on you. Just turn it down or take it elsewhere, especially if it is 2:00 in the morning and everyone is trying to sleep. This goes especially for roommates: don't be that roommate.

9. Take pictures

A quote wall is great, but pictures are equally as awesome. You will want to remember those nights you went out and had a great time. Of course, don't interrupt special moments with your phone, but every now and then take a snapshot!

10. Hang out in your common room

This is a great way to get to know people. Just be in each other's presence; don't isolate yourself. Have fun together, get to know people you aren't necessarily friends with, because you'll be living with them for the next year!