10 Ways To Deal With Stress When Life Gets Rough
Mental Health

10 Ways To Handle Stress When Everything Becomes A Bit Overwhelming

Everyone goes through it, and everyone could use some tips to help handle it.

58

Everyone has their rough days and weeks, but many of us don't know what to do when our stress becomes very draining. Instead, we end up letting it get the best of us. We can't let it continue to consume us, so here are a few pointers on how to deal with your stress.

1. Go out and get some exercise.

Whether it be a run, lifting weights, or just taking a casual stroll, exercising can be a great way to clear your head and relieve some stress.

2. Go to your nearest shelter and play with some puppies.

The local shelter has so many dogs that are dying to be let out to get some fresh air, so you'd be helping both the dog and yourself. Dogs, and other animals, have been proven to make you feel less stressed and worried, so they'd be a great aid to your stress.

3. Watch some ASMR on Youtube.

As weird as it may seem to watch someone try and destress you through a computer screen, it is actually extremely relaxing. There are many genres of ASMR, many of which cater to sleep, but there are also many to help stress, anxiety and worry. Lock yourself in a quiet room, and allow the video to relax your mind.

4. Organize your work space.

Many times, having clutter around where you are trying to do homework, study for a test, or complete a work assignment, can cause you to feel extra stress. It would be well worth it to take a small amount of time to organize your papers, books, pens etc. Having a clutter-free and clean workspace will immediately alleviate some stress and allow you to better focus on getting things done.

5. Plan your day down to the last minute.

Simply having a mental note of everything you need to get done, sometimes is not enough. It will stress you out more trying to rack your brain to remember everything you are supposed to get done for that specific day, week or even month. Get a planner, and write down times and deadlines for things you need to do. This will keep you organized and allow you to check off and keep track of things you've done and things you still need to do.

6. Take a break and pamper yourself a bit.

There are many ways to pamper yourself that will help you feel a little bit less stressed. For example, taking a bubble bath or doing a face mask, will make you feel clean, refreshed, less stressed, and ready to continue working when you get out.

7. Play some calming music and meditate.

This will help clear your mind and allow you to be alone with your thoughts. It gives you a chance to calm down a bit and reflect on everything.

8. Turn off your phone for a bit.

If it seems that everything that is popping up on your phone is just adding to your stress, but most of it can wait for a few hours, then go ahead and shut off your phone and put it away for a little while. Some of the best times happen when your phone isn't involved and distracting you anyways.

9. Rub on some stress relief lotion.

Bath and Body Works sells many products specifically for stress relief, and they really do work, especially the Aromatherapy Stress Relief body lotion. It may be a subtle difference, but even just the smell of the two main ingredients — eucalyptus and spearmint-- instantly calm you down.

10. Call a family member or friend that you can talk to.

Kristina Loza Garcia

One of the biggest issues in today's society is that we are afraid to share our burdens with others because we don't want to be annoying, so we tend to face them alone. That's the worst way to handle anything. Allow the people you love to be there for you because that's what you would do for them. You're not a burden or an issue for telling your family or friends about what is bothering you and stressing you out. They'll have no problem listening, and in the process of your vent session, you'll end up feeling much better afterward.