10 TV Shows For Book Lovers

10 TV Shows For Book Lovers

When you just can't read anymore.

687
10 TV Shows For Book Lovers
Cord Cutter News

That awkward part of winter break is upon us. It isn't Christmas, it isn't New Years, and you're probably home alone all day every day. This is the time that we get sucked into the black hole of Netflix because, if you're like me, you've done way too much reading this past semester to do any pleasure reading over the break. However, you're in luck, bibliophiles, because there are plenty of great shows out there for book lovers!

1. Castle

Castle is one of my favorites! It follows a crime writer, Richard Castle, as he shadows NYPD Detective Kate Beckett, the muse for his next set of novels. The best part? There are books that go with it! The writer of Castle published the series that we see Castle writing during the series under his name. With ten seasons, it's no surprise that Castle is not only full of crazy crimes and wild theories from the title character, but also a pretty great subplot involving the characters' personal lives.

2. The Magicians

I haven't personally watched this one, but it's next on my list. Telling the story of a guy at a Canadian magic school, it comes highly recommended to all Harry Potter fans.

3. This Is Us

This Is Us is for all of you John Green fans out there. Each episode of this story, which follows one family both in the past and the present, is emotionally packed and will hit you in the feels every time.

4. Murdoch Mysteries

A Canadian crime show and another personal favorite, Murdoch Mysteries is based off of the popular novel series by Maureen Jennings. Set at the turn of the 20th Century, the show is all about the adventures of Detective William Murdoch, his leading lady Dr. Julia Ogden, and the rest of the members of the Toronto Constabulary. Murdoch's crazy inventive brain leads him to use some technology that we see today. Guest appearances from characters like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Nikola Tesla, Mark Twain, and Thomas Edison give some added interest. Plus, the subplot love story between the detective and the doctor will have you hooked within two or three episodes.

5. Downton Abbey

This popular British drama just ended after its 7th season. The show begins with the sinking of the Titanic and its impact on the prestigious Crawley family and their servants, staying with them all the way through the 1920s. The glittering high society scenes of upstairs and the heartfelt warmth of the scenes downstairs are a nice contrast to each other that give each of the characters a lovable quality, despite their faults.

6. The Following

The Following, which stars Footloose star Kevin Bacon, is all about an FBI agent (Bacon) who is chasing after the elusive Joe Carrol, leader of a cult that practically worships Edgar Allan Poe. This thriller is reminiscent of American Horror Story, but it has some literary roots, making it perfect for bibliophiles. The only downside is that it was cancelled after a cliffhanger ending in the 3rd season.

7. Bones

Bones is probably the most popular show on this list. In its 12th season, it's about forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan ("Bones"), her team of scientists, FBI Agent Seeley Booth, and his team at the FBI. Based on the books by Kathy Reichs, Bones is perfect for those who love crime shows, forensics, and a bit of on-screen romance.

8. Sherlock

This BBC hit is, of course, about the character so infamously created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The only change made is that it is set in the present. The characters are uncannily like their literary counterparts, which is something that all Doyle fans love.

9. Elementary

The American version of a televised Sherlock Holmes, Elementary is also set in the present. There are a few major differences from the books though. First, it's in present day America rather than Victorian London. Second, Dr. Watson is female. While I think this is all a cool spin on the originals and gives the series a new depth, many fans of the original novels take issue with these major changes.

10. Rizzoli & Isles

Based on the books by Tess Gerristen, Rizzoli & Isles follows best friends Detective Jane Rizzoli and Doctor Maura Isles through solving cases, dealing with family issues, and finding themselves along the way. The warm, family elements in the subplot make a nice contrast to the overlying theme of crime and the characters are incredibly relatable.

So enjoy these shows before break is over!