10 Toys You NEEDED To Have As A Child

10 Toys You NEEDED To Have As A Child

It wasn't just a want. It was a NEED.

388
10 Toys You NEEDED To Have As A Child
Star Tribune

We all had our favorite toys growing up. Whether you were into dolls, animals, or even tiny electronics, there was something for everyone. But some toys were more popular than others, creating toy fads that made you want one even more, because everybody else had it.

1. Webkinz

These little plush toys were the best of both worlds: a toy you can hug, and an online game where you could feed and dress your pet, design a home for it, and play games. It was like Neopets, but even better. And also more expensive. A full size Webkinz plush put you out about $20, and a minuture Lil'Kinz was around $15. Now, you can find them in the clearance bin at Marshall's for $2. RIP childhood funds.

2. Tamagotchi

These small, egg-shaped devices from Japan probably ruled your life when you were younger. There was nothing worse than waking up to find out the creature you had managed to keep alive for two weeks died because you didn't feed it at 3:30 a.m. Seriously, these things were harder to keep alive than a goldfish.

3. Bratz

Originally hailed as the anti-Barbie, these dolls were seen by many as "too sexy" for young girls to play with. However, unlike Barbies of the time, Bratz dolls were multi-ethnic, which increased their popularity. The only strange things about these dolls were their oversized shoes that, when removed, left nubs instead of feet.

3. Zhu Zhu Pets

Hailed as the hottest Christmas toy of 2009, these little robotic hamsters caused parents to get in fights in the toy department as they attempted to get their hands on one of these adorable pets. However, shortly before Christmas, reports surfaced that the toys contained high levels of antimony, a chemical used to prevent fires in textiles, which can cause lung and heart problems with prolonged exposure. The toys remained on the market for a year or two, growing to a large collection including the original hamsters, ninjas, and even zoo animals, before disappearing from toy shelves forever.

4. Doodle Bears

What better way to let out your inner artist than with a teddy bear you could color on? And when you were done, you could just stick it in the washing machine and start all over again!

5. American Girl Dolls

Let's face it, these dolls are the reason you got into historical fiction. The historical dolls were the best because you got to fully immerse yourself in a different time period and place. Plus the dolls were some of the best quality dolls on the market.

6. Furbies

I'm still not sure why these were ever created, never mind why they got so popular. Everyone I've ever talked to things these little electronic creatures are super creepy.

7. Easy Bake Oven

Another toy that I'm not quite sure what we all got so excited about. The treats always turned out half raw (but what did you expect, you're cooking with a lightbulb) and it never made as much as the package showed. But there was still something magical about having your own oven in elementary school.

8. Beyblades

Essentially, Beyblades were just spinning tops with metal edges that could be used to battle. The goal was a toy that would work as part of a game, similar to Pokemon cards.

9. Mighty Beanz

These tiny, weighted beans were the most entertaining cheap toy on the market. You could roll them around their specially designed tracks, or even on your desk. And nothing was better than getting a duplicate that you could trade with your friend for the one you've been admiring in their collection.

10. Littlest Pet Shop

These adorable little bobbleheads were the perfect collectable toy. They were cheap, cute, and there were hundreds of different ones to choose from. Not to mention the adorable playsets you could buy.