Stress gets the best of us, don't let it get you.
Education

10 Tips To Reduce Stress

Add a little more relaxation and a whole lot less stress.

90
10 Tips To Reduce Stress

Stress and being stressed is incredibly natural and unfortunately almost too natural for some people. Some people feel as if they are stressed all the time over the littlest things. Others stress out about things they have NO control over. With the upcoming school year, everyone is feeling a little stressed and nervous about their new classes, new schools, new professors. Will they get that A? Will the class be super hard? Will I make friends? Here are a few simple tips that can help eliminate stress and get you ready to focus.

1. Ask yourself: “Is this something I can control?”

People tend to panic about things they can't control. Worried and upset about the rain storm? Embrace it and dance in the rain, or jump in the puddles. If might not be able to control what is happening in your life, but you certainly can control how you feel about it. Make the best of whatever is happening and focus on the aspects of life that you can control. Like your grades, for example, study hard and get the A instead of psyching yourself out and making it 10 times harder.

2. Be Present

When I say be present I don't mean show up to class or work or whatever you have going on (although those are all things you SHOULD do). I mean live in the moment, take a step back and SLOW down. I have lived my life at 100 miles per hour for so long and was always freaking out about literally everything until I slowed my roll. I still plan out most aspects of my life but I don't think about what I have to do in 2 hours, I think about what I am doing right now. Relax a little and enjoy what is happening around you.

3. Ask For Help

This is big, stress and feeling stress can become overwhelming and sometimes you just need to talk it out. I do it, I have two really good friends that when I am stressed or don't know what to do, I have them just sit and listen to me and it helps. It helps me realize the aspects of it that are worth worrying and the ones that aren't (and most aren't). Plus this gives someone else the opportunity to do something good too.

4. Exercise Regularly

Recently I have been exercising regularly (like everyday) but for health reasons not stress related reasons but I honestly feel so much better and experience a lot less stress throughout my days and weeks now. That doesn't mean you have to go lift weights, or run EVERYDAY. It means go for a walk, or try a new yoga/meditation class. Do some sort of exercise that you enjoy a couple times a week, even if it is only for 20 minutes at a time. It will help, physically and mentally, I promise.

5. Eat Healthier

Eating healthy can seem really hard because unfortunately the healthy foods are the most expensive. I am a full time college student I understand the broke life. But just incorporating diced peppers into your pasta or eating an apple for a snack will give you more energy and help you feel better. You do not need to eat nothing but fruits, veggies and chicken but a little will go a long way.

6. Know Your Limits

9/10 people know their limits, they understand what they can handle and what they can't BUT we (myself included) like to believe that we can handle anything and everything which is true mildly. Don't take on 15 tasks at once if you can only handle 10. And if you find yourself with too many things to do in a short period of time, break it up into smaller groups or even smaller tasks, and when 1 set is completed take a break and move onto the next one.

7. Spend Time With Your Animal Friend (or People Friends)

Personally find that animals literally anything from a giant cow to an adorable puppy are amazing stress relievers. They want attention and we want to give them attention. So if you're at school and you see a dog, ask to pet it and then spend just 30 seconds (obviously longer if you can) petting the dog releasing your stress hormones and feel so much better. BUT don't worry, if there aren't any furry friends available, human friends can help too. Hangout with the funniest, sweetest person you know or even someone you always have fun with. Interaction alone will get your mind off everything else and help you feel relieved.

8. Listen to Music

Music has more power then anyone would think, everyone likes some kind of music whether it be rap, country, hip hop, pop, classical or any of the other genres out there, there is something for everybody. You can turn your music on and forget what is going on. It might not be the first or second song you listen to but eventually you will start singing your heart out and forget everything going on even just for a minute.

9. LAUGH

Have some fun with friends, watch a comedy or something that will make you laugh. Laughter is believed to reduce stress hormones but also increase immune cells to help prevent illness. This is super important because as stress leaves the body you are more susceptible to illness as it does not have to work as hard to deal with the stress. Plus who doesn't feel better after long stomach hurting laugh?

10. Do Something for Yourself

THINK OF YOURSELF FOR ONCE! I am the type of person who always puts everyone else before myself, but trust me it is super important to think about yourself. Do one thing everyday for yourself whether that be paint a picture, read a book, go to the gym or even watch Netflix. The one thing we do for yourselves is the one thing that will help us get through the next few weeks.

If you are like me and are constantly on the go, you might feel like you don't have the time or money to do these things. Make time. Time management is literally one of the most important skills someone can have.

Trust me, if you make just 10 minutes in your day to do one of these you will feel 100% better.