What wine is right for you based on your zodiac sign
Education

Wine Pairings Based on Zodiac Signs

When your stars align, time for wine!

180
Wine Pairings Based on Zodiac Signs

This past semester, I took a class called the Wine Basics. Since I did in fact get an A, I can blindly declare myself quite the sommelier. It's so difficult to pick a favorite wine, since they're allunique in their own significant way, so I tried to make it a little easier for everyone. I took the characteristics of the zodiac signs,cross-checked and paired them with a grape varietal. Now, you'll never questions what bottle to reach for your next break-up.

Aquarius: Chenin Blanc

Dare to be different? An Aquarius is talented and stands out in a crowd; so does a good Chenin Blanc.Creative by nature, worldly and sharp and ways both an Aquarius and a Chenin Blanc. Aquarius's are extremists though, and if harvested at the wrong time, a Chenin Blanc's flavors can be overpowering.

Pieces: Port

Port is a sweet, after dinner beverage, known in the fortified wine category. Pieces are known for their kindness and being extra sweet, so it's fitting they pair well with a dessert wine. Pieces are sensitive and emotional, basically how everyone gets if they make it to the glass of Port without getting too drunk during dinner.

Aries: Riesling

Sweet, with subtle spice, with a spontaneous punch. Am I talking about a Riesling or an Aries? Truthfully, both! Aries are also the most independent of signs, which is fitting for a Riesling because the taste is truly incomparable to any other grape varietal. Aries can be intolerant of others, which is exactly what a poor food and Riesling pairing would taste like.

Taurus: Cabernet Sauvignon

Cab Sav is arguably the king of the red wines: it ages well, popular amongst different age groups, andis deep and rich in flavor. Taurus's are reliable, patient, and make great leaders, but can be stubborn, much like trying to pair a cab sav well. However, a Taurus's dependability makes them the perfect pairing with the crowd-favorite Cabernet Sauvignon.

Gemini: Rose

It's not a red, but it's not a white, a little indecisive. Almost as if it's two-sided… (get it?) Anyway, Gemini's are known for being adaptable, versatile, youthful, and lively, much like the flavors in a rose. Roses are great young wines, and contain bright flavors of life like strawberry and grapefruit, and there's no zodiac with a brighter personality than a Gemini.

Cancer: Chardonnay

Cancer's are artistic, and a kindness like no other, and are intensely passionate. A Chardonnay's significant flavor profile includes notes of warm vanilla and toasted oak, like a Cancer's warm heart. A Chardonnay is arguably the leading white because they pair well with a wide spectrum of foods, like a Cancer's ability to make connections with people.

Leo: ​Sauvignon Blanc

Confident, bold, expansive, and broad-minded are ways many would describe both a Leo and a Sauvignon Blanc. Leo's are quite headstrong, much like the initial powerful flavor and the hangover following a Sauvignon Blanc, but both are fun, exciting, and summery.

Virgo: Pinot Noir

Virgos are perfectionists, have a strong understanding of human-nature, and are down to earth. Pinot Noir is known for its accurate, well-balanced, earthy taste. A Pinot Noir is difficult to blend with other varietals because of its natural balance. The grape is finicky, and when it's blended, it's often blended wrong. This relates to a Virgo's difficulty to balance or adapt to change due to their high standards of accuracy.

Libra: Champagne

It is only fitting the that bubbliest of the signs is no other than the finest bubbly around. Libra's are very socially inclined and champagne is the modern-day social drink, whether it be for a boozy brunch, a celebration, or something to sip on with friends. Libra's do have an angry side that can "pop" off at any moment, and boy does champagne know how to POP!

Scorpio: Malbec

A Scorpio is determined and thinks outside the box. Malbec is a unique red wine that is dark, purple in color. Very fitting for the spookiness of October. Scorpios can be a bit forceful, like the sometimes-powerful taste of a Malbec. Malbec's make for great food pairings, but also stand alone well, just like a Scorpio's relationships.

Sagittarius: Pinot Grigio

Sag's are adventurous, honest, and straight-forward. When you open a Pinot Grigio, you know what you're getting: gold color, semi-sweet flavor, and earthy, usually Italian-inspired notes. Sagittarius's are optimistic and look for the brighter side to life, and no wine excretes bright flavors like a Pinot Grigio.

Capricorn: Merlot

Capricorn's enjoy structure, are intelligent and have a strong appreciation for tradition. Merlot is the closest grape varietal to "church wine" and it doesn't get much more traditional than that. Capricorns are deep and romantic, similar to the deep, rich flavors in a Merlot, and have a bit of a darkside, much like Merlot's dark, earthy color.

Now, whenever a friend's birthday rolls around, you'll know exactly what wine to get them! Cheers!