10 Tips For Surviving Finals Week

10 Tips For Surviving Finals Week

We're all in this together: some helpful hints to making it through finals.

1025
10 Tips For Surviving Finals Week

It's that time of the semester again, a college student's nightmare: finals week! Stress levels are through the roof, to-do lists seem never-ending, and home is calling your name like never before. The weather is warming up and schoolwork is the last thing we all want to be doing, am I right? With the end so near, it's easy to want to throw in the towel and coast until the end, but it's important to finish strong and (somehow) stay motivated until the last exam. Sound difficult? I know. Here are some tips to survive finals week without too many public breakdowns.

1. One Step at a Time

At the beginning of my freshman year, I had never been so overwhelmed. It seemed impossible to adjust to so many things at the same time and it really started to get to me. My parents noticed how much of a mess I became and gave me some of the best advice I've ever gotten: focus on one thing at a time rather than looking at the big picture. With so many things looming over you, it's super easy to get overwhelmed and stressed out. When you break it down bit by bit, everything seems more doable and you're less likely to freak out about everything on your plate, even if it is a hefty amount. Pick one thing to work on at a time and once you finish that, move on to the next. It will allow you to give all your attention to one specific task rather than letting your mind wander all over the place. This will help you keep your organization as well as your sanity.

2. Make Lists

I don't know it can be a weird habit, but making a list always seems to calm me down. Visualizing my thoughts and having them down on paper allows me to see exactly what it is I need to do and when. Try setting up a different list for each class or day; organize it however you like, but just get something down in front of you. It's been proven that those who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them because they seem more validated, and the same applies here!

3. Prioritize

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you have a million things to do before the end of the week, right? Rather than spending the same amount of energy on every little thing, prioritize and put them in order of importance. It sounds bad, but if there are assignments you know you could do quickly and without difficulty, go ahead and get those out of the way first (or last, depending on how you prefer to work.) Spend the most time on the bigger chunks of work that you know will count for a lot of your grade. This way, you can again begin to break down your workload and get things done piece by piece, using your energy to its greatest potential.

4. Eat Healthy

Stress eating is one of my favorite hobbies, so I understand this one is tough. The fact of the matter is, your body uses food as fuel and needs it to function efficiently. Filling your body with junk such as cookies and pizza will only hurt you in the long run, leaving you unsatisfied and tired. Instead, fuel up on healthy snacks such as beef jerky, granola bars, nuts, and fruit. Try to eat three full meals a day; I know it's hard, but it is possible! Snack in between meals, but make good choices. Try to stock up on healthy snacks if possible, and remember that what you put into your body is exactly what you will get out of it.

5. Hydrate

I drink coffee like it's water, so I realize this one is difficult too, especially during finals week. I know you'll want to chug energy drinks and espresso shots (which is not terrible to an extent) but regardless, make sure you're drinking plenty of water. It helps to flush out your system and keep your body functioning at maximum capacity, so try to drink 100 ounces of water a day if possible. Whether you're in class, at the library, or chilling in your room, make sure you always have a water bottle by your side and sip it at your leisure. It'll help, I promise.

6. Sleep!

At this point you're probably planning how you're going to set up a bed in the library. Believe it or not, I have not pulled one all-nighter in my college career (yet)! It's possible. I can't stress how important it is to get some sleep. It rejuvenates your brain and you actually retain information better after a good night's sleep than you would otherwise. Yes, sometimes it's necessary to cram and stay up late, but try to at least get a couple of hours in. You'll retain information better and be more prepared to take a test, plus you'll physically feel better after getting some rest. Never underestimate the importance of sleep.

7. Use Your Support

When I say support, I mean it in two different ways. One, your support system: your friends, family, and mentors. Finals are insanely stressful, and breakdowns are a reality. Keep your friends close and talk to your family often. Sometimes, you get so in your head that you fail to see reality in a logical and reasonable sense. Talk to the people you're close to and get a fresh perspective on your situation. It will help you immensely, trust me.

Second, use the resources your school provides for you. There are plenty of extra study sessions, online resources, and professors available to help you. Talk to your peers and professors so you can get a good sense of what to expect on test day. You're paying thousands of dollars to be at this school, so you might as well use it to your advantage!

8. Take Time to Yourself

We all have that one thing that calms us down and allows us to regroup. Whether it's listening to music, reading, meditating, or exercising, make sure you take at least ten minutes out of your day to de-stress. We often get caught up in everything we have to do and forget to take care of ourselves, so it's important to get in touch with how we are doing not only mentally, but in all aspects as well. Whether it's the first thing you do when you wake up, the last thing before you go to bed, or somewhere in between, take some time to relax and unwind.

9. Take Breaks

This is relatively similar to the previous one, but equally as important. Studying takes a toll on your body and mind, so take a break every couple of hours to stay fresh and get away from your work for a bit. Go outside, stand up, get a meal in you, then get back to studying once you feel like you can handle it. Don't try to cram too much into one time slot, and if you feel like you mentally cannot continue, don't push yourself too hard. You have to take care of yourself and listen to your body. You know your limits, so stay within them. There's always enough time to finish what you have to do.

10. Stay Positive!

Last but not least, keep a positive mindset. This kind of work is unnatural and seems cruel, but just remember that you can do it and that you're almost done. Within a week, you'll be at home with your pets and some great food; keep that in mind and you've got yourself some motivation. You've made it so far already and accomplished so much this semester, and it will only continue to get better from here. As Buddha says, "What you think, you become." Think great thoughts, and you will do great things. I believe in you!

College is tough and finals week is, in my opinion, an accurate representation of hell. With so much on your mind, it's easy to get out of touch with yourself and those around you, but if you follow these tips you're well on your way to surviving the end of the semester. Today may be rough but tomorrow is a new day, and you have a new opportunity to make it great. Think of finals as a challenge and know that you can overcome it. No matter how bad it seems, remember that you've been through it before and you can do it again. Good luck to all of you and happy studying!