10 Tips For Interviews

10 Tips For Interviews

Interviews are hard. Here is some advice to get you through it.

9
10 Tips For Interviews

One of the hardest parts of finding a job is making it through the interview. Interviews can be nerve-wrecking and anxiety-building experiences. In high school or in college, I never learned how to interview. I was thrown into he working world without an idea of how to go into an interview and walk away with a job. Most of the interviews I'd had during high school or college were easy. They were work study or a retail job. However, once I hit the real world things started to go downhill.

Here are a few ideas that I have used to help me as I go through the interview process over and over again, trying to find a job that fits me as a person.

1. Your Clothes and Appearance Matter

I suggest always attending an interview in business casual attire unless you know that it's an interview that you need to wear a suit to. But what is business casual attire? For men this would be a button up shirt and a tie with a nice pair of dress pants with dress shoes. For women, this would mean a blouse or nice top with a skirt or dress pants and either heels, flats or boots.

Do not show up to your interview in jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. Even if you know that's the kind of attire you'll be allowed to wear on the job. Dressing professionally helps you come off as a professional seeking a job. Be sure your clothing is free of stains. If you're worried you're going to spill coffee on yourself or food of any sort, bring an extra outfit in your car in case of emergencies.

2. Keep Your Cellphone Off and Out-of-Sight

Once you step out of your car, turn your phone of and put your phone in your pocket or purse and leave it there until you are back at your car after the interview. Do not go into the building where your interview is with your phone in hand. You never know who is watching. Cellphones are a big turn-off to many interviewers. This shows them that you are preoccupied with other business instead of preparing for an interview.

3. Bring A Notebook and A Pen

This shows that you are ready to take notes and be attentive to everything the interviewer says to you about the position you are applying for. Having a notebook will allow for you to write down the dress code, any important phone numbers or email addresses and information about the company.

4. Take A Deep Breath

Interviews are scary. Even people with years of job experience can go into an interview feeling anxious. Taking a few deep breaths before you meet with the interviewer can help you get a hold of your nerves. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Sometimes I will also say to myself that "I've got this" or that "I can do this" and it will help me calm down.

5. Bring Questions To Ask The Interviewer

My favorite question to ask is "why do you like working for this company?". Every time I've asked the interviewer has been excited to answer and share what makes the company so great. Some other good questions to ask are clarifying questions. If your interviewer mentions something about the position you are unclear about, ask them to reiterate. Interviewers are happy to see that you are curious and unafraid to ask questions when you are struggling to understand something.

6. Do Not Bring Food, A Drink or Gum

I shouldn't even have to say this. If you are eating food during your interview, you are incredibly rude. This often means that the interviewer needs to wait for you to be done chewing for you to answer their questions. Or worse. You answer them with your mouth full of food. Do not chew gum during your interview either. As far as drinks go, water is okay, but anything else like coffee or soda can stay in your car until you are finished your interview.

7. Research The Company You Are Interviewing For

This means going to their website and reading about what they do. Going into a interview blind can make you look bad. Especially if they ask you questions such as "why did you choose to apply for this company?" or "what about this company sparked your interest?". Be sure that the company is some place you will be happy before you go to the interview.

For my recent interview, this meant going to their website and reading success stories about client's they've helped find jobs and how they have progressed in their job.

8. Be On Time

Being late to your interview is unprofessional. However, being too early is as well. You want to arrive 5 to 10 minutes early to an interview, 15 minutes at the most. Being any earlier rushes your interviewer into being ready for you before they needed to be and being late to an interview forces an interviewer to rush through your interview.

9. Begin and End Your Interview With A Firm Handshake and A Kind Smile

Handshakes are the most formal way to introduce yourself. Give your interviewer a smile to show that you are happy and excited to be interviewing with them. Leaving your interview doing the same on both ends will show your appreciation for them interviewing you.

10. Always Thank Your Interviewer

My final piece of advice is to thank your interviewer before you leave. This shows that you are grateful for the chance to interview.