10 Ways To Make Your College Freshman Year One To Remember

Tips to help you navigate college

5

Starting college can be overwhelming, you have to leave home, meet new people, make serious life choices and find a social/academic balance. Freshman year isn't always the easiest so here are 10 tips to help you find your feet in your new home away from home!

1. Make the effort to go out and meet new friends!

College is a time when you are introduced to so many new people, which for some, can seem extremely overwhelming to begin with! It's important to remember that everyone is in the same position and with that, most people will be open to starting new conversations and making new friendships! Even if you are lucky enough to go to a college with plenty of your high school friends, you shouldn't neglect the importance of meeting new people during this new stage of your life.

2. Join a campus club as a way to get involved!

upload.wikimedia.org

Most college campuses around the nation have such a variety of extra-curricular clubs that it is hard to keep count! the good news about this is that it means there is nearly always the perfect club to suit you and your interests, whether that be horse riding, cooking, or learning mandarin in your free time! Clubs are a fantastic way to branch out, meet new people and develop your interests. They can be especially great for college freshman who aren't as extroverted as others to make new friends without the laborious conversation starters and ice breakers.

3. Put 100% into all of your academic efforts!

Pc Computer Desktop Computer Workplace Home Office

www.maxpixel.net

This one really is a given! Whilst college is also about having fun, growing as a person and finding your path in life, it is vital to remember that the fundamental purpose for being there is to get an education. This means that one of your top priorities should always be the quality of the work you are producing. Some simple ways to get on top of academics include: creating a study schedule, using a planner to keep track of deadline and assignments, and utilizing campus spaces such as study groups and tutoring sessions.

4. Take classes that you enjoy!

upload.wikimedia.org

The best way to have fun is to do things you find enjoyable, and the same applies for classes. It is true that some majors seem more worthwhile than others but there is absolutely no point in studying a subject (or even just a class) that you loathe - especially if you can help it - just for this reason alone. The majority of colleges require electives as well as general education requirements that can be satisfied by any number of courses outside of your major so it is advisable to take classes that you will actually appreciate. Not to mention, if you like the material you are more likely to study and in turn, maximize your grade in the class!

5. Utilize free fitness and exercise classes!

It is not uncommon for you to find that your college's sport center will provide a range of group fitness and exercise classes such as yoga and Zumba on top of any intramural sports that they may offer. College is a time of change and stress, especially in the first semester, a great way to combat this is by participating in regular exercise. It is a well known fact that exercise helps to boost your mood and energy levels and more often than not, you'll have some fun and meet new people whilst doing it. If nothing else, it is certainly a way to avoid the dreaded freshman 15.

6. Keep your dorm room a tidy and tranquil space!

upload.wikimedia.org

One of the biggest changes that comes with entering college is losing any sense of personal space. Generally, freshman living on campus will be placed in double or triple rooms with two to three other students. While this is great for coping with any homesickness or loneliness that may arise, it is not so great that you have zero privacy and no where you can retreat to when you just need a few moments alone. Keeping your side of the dorm room tidy can help with this, coming in to an area that is clean is far more tranquil than finding clothes strewn on the floor and used plates everywhere. A clean room becomes somewhere you want to relax so that even with the other people in your room, you always feel like you have somewhere to go!

7. Leave the drama behind!

Nobody appreciated rumors and cliques in high school and no one appreciates rumors and cliques in college either! College is a new, more mature chapter of your life, you are older and wiser, and with that, drama should be a thing of the past. It serves no purpose other than causing problems and making others uncomfortable. In a college environment where you all live and study together, there really isn't a need for this at all. Drama is definitely something to leave behind in high school!

8. Take advantage of all the new college opportunities on offer!

thinkbluemarin.files.wordpress.com

College is exciting! A big part of that exiting comes with so many new things that you can be involved in. Most college have a range of opportunities that you can take advantage of including: career fairs, mock interviews, on campus work, service trips, field studies and weekend or weeklong conferences. These things are often a brilliant way to develop your personal and career goals and grow as an individual. Take advantage of everything you can because there is no other time in your life like college that you will actually have the time and ability to do so!

9. Get enough sleep!

The importance of a decent sleep schedule of college cannot be stressed enough! Being tired is not fun, especially when you have an 8 AM class or late night practice sessions. Coffee and energy drinks can only do so much but sleep is the real deal! There is absolutely no way that you can be on the top of your game - academically or socially - if you are walking around campus like a zombie because you only got six hours sleep this week! A few late nights might be necessary but once you reach zombie status, you should definitely reconsider your sleep schedule.

10. Don't stretch yourself too thin!

live.staticflickr.com

Not taking on too much is probably the best advice that anyone could ever give a college freshman, or even a high school freshman for that matter. With all the new exciting opportunities that college has to offer coupled with leaving home for the first time, it is all to easy to take on far too much than what any human could possibly balance successfully. With that in mind, you know yourself best, don't be tempted to do more than you know you can just because someone else is or you feel it is necessary for success. Without balance, burnout is inevitable so make sure you have fun, study hard and always do what is best for you!

The most important thing to remember throughout your entire college career is to always do what's right for you! The best way to have fun is to have a good mix of social and academic balance, that means getting involved but also remembering you're ultimately there to study! Have a great freshman year!