10 Tips Every Traveler Should Know

10 Tips Every Traveler Should Know

Helpful travel tips for experienced and unexperienced travelers

28
10 Tips Every Traveler Should Know
VMag

Whenever I travel, I'm faced with one simple but difficult task: packing. Odd, but true. I have to decide what to wear, what to bring, and where to put all my stuff. There's always an item I forget. I've learned the hard way, but I've discovered some useful tips every traveler should know.

1. Invest in a packing cube.

I've always placed my clothes inside my checked baggage dispersed and cluttered. But these packing cubes are a life saver! I never go anywhere without my packing cubes. Any brand works well, but I've gotten a medium & large one from Muji. My clothes are now clutter-free and organized.

2. Roll your clothes, don't fold.

Rolled-up clothes save space and are easier to find than folded clothes. When I travel, I like to have an organized suitcase and use my space efficiently. Generally, I only have 23 kg (50 lbs.) of belongings to bring.

3. Make a to-do list.

Lists help me but sometimes they aren't for everyone. When I make a to-do list, I am better at finishing my tasks and completing my goals. I write down all I have to do before I leave and what I need to pack. Lists help me not forget any important items I need to bring with me.

4. Find a good and durable checked baggage.

My High Sierra AT3 survived for almost five years on-the-go through airport security and gravel roads. My beloved bag has been with me for quite some time now and it's time for it to retire. I know this because the zipper broke and I almost didn't bring my bag back. When you travel more than twice a year across the globe, the life-span of your checked baggage decreases.

5. Use Ziploc bags.

I cannot emphasize how much Ziploc bags have made my travel experience run smoothly. Ziploc bags are useful when airport security requires them or if you are hand carrying liquids at or under 100 ml. Ziploc bags help organize my chargers, my accessories, and random items that need a home.

6. Secure your liquids.

If you are headed overseas or at least taking long haul flights like me, securing your liquids is essential. When I went back to boarding school after breaks, I stocked up on my toiletries and snacks instead of buying them when I arrived. Especially for my shampoo and conditioner; I made sure to secure them. I used scotch tape and plastic bags (or Ziploc bags!) to conceal in case they spilled during the journey. You don't want to arrive with a messy luggage.

7. Purchase a TSA Masterlock.

You DON'T want your padlocks to get broken. I've had a handful of useless padlocks over the years. Plus, you don't need a key to unlock the padlock. I have found the TSA Masterlocks very, very useful. And, they're TSA approved.

8. Keep all your important documents together and safe.

You don't want to be stranded or denied access to your final destination. Not a good idea! Also, it's better to be over prepared than under prepared so bring the necessary documents needed. As an international student, I personally cannot forget my I-20 or else I can't enter the United States. We don't want that to ever happen.

9. Carry a portable weighing scale.

You save time at the airport and money because you don't have to pay for overweight baggage or trying to repack your items to fit the checked baggage weight limit. Very useful and easy to carry!

10. Don't under pack or overpack: pack just enough.

You need to know how many clothes and personal belongings you need when you depart for your trip. Use your best judgement but it's always best to have a little extra clothing for sure.

These worked for me and hopefully will work for whoever is reading this. This isn't the "right" way to pack since there really is no correct way, but I have found these successful every time I travel.

Side note: Always, always bring an extra set of clothes with your carry-on. You never know if your flight will get delayed/canceled, or if you spill something on your shirt.