10 Thoughts College Seniors Have Going Back To School

I feel old.

36
Huffington Post

Every year, young adults ages 18-21 pack up their parents' minivans with (probably too many) living materials, say goodbye to their hometowns until Thanksgiving, and make the trek back to their college or university.

While there is definitely something special, exciting and nerve-wracking about moving in freshman year, and something completely average about it sophomore and junior years, there's something about moving onto campus that feels very different when you know it's the last time. Here are 10 thoughts college seniors have when moving onto campus for their final year.

1. You appreciate the little things.

When you know this is your last year as a student in these hallowed halls, you take the time to appreciate your school more than usual. You smile as you get to send emails via your university email address, and walk slowly around campus admiring the architecture instead of sprinting on your way to classes. But, most importantly, you order as much random stuff as you can from Amazon while you still have your student Prime account.

2. You feel the urge to do everything NOW.

You know that you get certain perks as a college student that you won't get anymore after graduation. To compensate for this, you do, use, and soak up everything your school has to offer. You print as much on university property as possible and waste money on silly mementos in the bookstore. You even stop and talk to every dining hall employee or janitor you see. You know this could be the last time you do these things, so time is of the essence!

3. You pass your old dorm buildings and realize how old you are.

It's easy to look at a certain building and feel instantly transported to the last time you were there. As you reminisce about what living in that building was like, you realize how much time has passed, how much has changed in your life, and how different things are now. Its both eery and exciting to see the differences and similarities, and you know coming back to school as an alum you'll be thinking about the same thing as you recall your senior year.

4. You see the freshmen and also realize how old you are.

Was I ever that short? Or that lost around campus? Did I look as horrified as they do? All questions and thoughts of them aside, however, you realize that they're all looking up to YOU now. You're the top of the totem pole, the Great Leaders of the School who are going to set an example for the rest of the underclassmen. And if that part doesn't scare you shitless then I don't know what will honestly.

5. You keep referring to the most recent graduating class as "the seniors," then stop yourself in a moment of panic when you realize that's you now.

Similarly to the new freshman, it was nice to have "the seniors" to look up to. You know you could work your ass off, but you were still safe from any real stress or problems because they were the ones about to enter the real world. It was a nice, safe little blanket around you protecting you from true responsibility. But your heart skips a beat and your stomach lurches when you remember you are indeed the senior now, and the safe blanket has been ripped off of you without even realizing and bestowed upon the now juniors.

6. You walk around campus much slower, as you try to remember and soak in everything.

You know that these will be some of your last walks on this campus as a student, and the next time you go back after graduation you'll instantly feel old, out of place and like an outsider. Realizing this inevitable fact, your walks to class become less brisk, your time spent looking at the buildings is longer, and you don't instantly run right to your bed the second classes get out.

7. You (try to) complain less about your school.

When you're old and grey and reminiscing about your wonderful college years, you want to remember all the good aspects of your school. So you try to stay more positive about what usually ticks you off. Suddenly the high tuition or the always-broken printers aren't as annoying as before (yes, they still are).

8. You feel suddenly compelled to attend every sports game and social event possible.

Friday night at the school's planetarium? Sure!

9. You reminisce about how move-in was scary or completely uneventful.

Although you didn't realize in the moment, those early days of each school year had excitement and promise for the new year ahead. Even if it was horrifying to move in as a freshman, you wish you could go back and tell yourself how much fun and how amazing it's all going to be. And as sophomores and juniors, moving in was simply part of the year, a process you probably forgot about. You miss those times badly and wish you could go back.

10. You think about how this time next year, you won't ever have to attend another academic class.

Whenever I think about the course of my life, there are always blocked-off years that signify when I'm at school. To finally realize that this is the final blocked-off year where I'll have my major responsibility in life being school is so incredibly liberating and terrifying at the same time. I'm sure most college seniors feel the same exact way about this realization, and are beginning to feel ready to start life's next adventure.

Welcome home, Class of 2018!