10 Things You Understand If You're A Theatre Kid Who Hates 'Theatre Kids'

No, I haven't seen any Broadway shows, stop asking me.

2609
Flickr

I've been a part of student-run theatre since I was a freshman in high school.

Now a junior in college, I have developed a little bit of a resistance to a certain 'type' of theatre personality. Not all theatre kids are like this, but I have the patience of a peanut for the ones who are.

This being said, I still enjoy theatre and those who participate in it very much, but I do enjoy silence and personal space also.

1. You hate when people burst into song.

I'm not a particularly talented person when it comes to singing, and I'm definitely not someone who enjoys other people bursting into song. I actually kind of hate it more when other people join in. Especially when we're not even rehearsing for a musical.

2. Hamilton is a genius musical, but you don't like talking about it 24/7.

Hamilton is the best - it's a genius musical that exhibits people of color in major roles and tells the truth about our founding fathers through hip hop and rap. It's a cool thing to reference every now and then - and maybe with your closest friends - but not after every word your director says. We can all rap Hamilton's lines - you're not special.

3. You understand that this is the drama department, but you don't understand why everyone is so dramatic.

We're all here because we love theatre and care deeply about this amazing show. We don't need to spread rumors about one another, and no one needs to act like they're better than anyone else. We are a team.

4. Everyone is so LOUD ALL the time.

Let me know why you're cool with shouting lyrics during a break but can't find your loud voice during rehearsal with no mics.

5. It's actually the worst when you're off book, and no one else is.

Lowkey, it's even worse when people just stand there trying to remember a line instead of calling out "line?" This is equally frustrating when you're on stage crew or on the production team and are on-book for this sole reason.

6. It's annoying when everyone hates the director.

Okay, maybe this sucks because I've actually been a director, but directors have a hard job! It's difficult to direct people in a creative setting! Give them a break and maybe, just maybe, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

7. People who brag about theatre, but then show up late to rehearsal constantly really get on your nerves.

*sips tea.*

8. I like musicals, and I like Broadway musicals, but not everyone has seen every musical.

You don't have to see shows on Broadway to be a theatre kid. There are poor theatre kids, too. Quit talking about how you sat next to Jared Padalecki at Dear Evan Hansen. I'm happy for you, but I'm lucky to see the man on a color television.

9. Theatre kids tend to be very touchy. I enjoy personal space.

First off, we probably aren't friends. Second off, even if we are, I'm not a touchy person. Third, if you wanna hang on me, cuddle or whatever else you're trying to do without my consent, you can catch these hands.

10. When people are rude to stage crew, you get upset.

Stage crew works just as hard as you do. Don't be fucking rude. Thank them and listen to them when they say you can't do something. Without them, there is no show.