10 Things You Should Never Have to Justify

You should be proud of what you need and choose to do, you owe no explanation for the things that you love.

242
Gabrielle Grove

Every thing you do and say make you who you are. There are many ways to express yourself in today's world. I find sometimes that I sometimes do not do something simply in fear that someone will ask me why I do it. The world can be a very judging, hurtful place sometimes and I'm here to tell you that you don't owe anyone an explanation. Be proud of who you are and the things that make you a unique individual. Here are ten things that I've dealt with first hand where I felt the need to justify my actions when I shouldn't have:

1. Your relationship status.

Have you ever gotten into or out of a relationship and then try keeping it a secret? Its hard! So you tell one of your friends or even a family member about it and boom, they want an explanation. You suddenly feel uncomfortable and have the sense of them prying. You just got out of that relationship(or into it) so you may not even have processed it yet. Do not feel bad to simply state how it is absolutely none of their business and if they happen to not take too kindly to that answer then are they really a good person for you to be talking to anyways? I don't think so! I am living with my boyfriend and I cringe telling people that because they assume some crazy things but I don't owe them anything. I live with him and the reason is because I can.

2. Shows you do or don't like.

Time and time again I get asked what shows I like, so Ill then state some stupid, dorky, lovey dove show and the response I get is usually wow, oh or really?? Girl its a show, you don't like it.. more for me to watch. Thats okay because I know I'm going to off put a lot of people when I say I don't care for the all so great and amazing show Grey's Anatomy...sorry not sorry. My explanation is well.. I just don't like it. Even if you HATE Netflix and Hulu and movies or if you don't watch tv at all, cool! No need to explain!

3. Preference on clothes.

My goodness, I can't stand this. Why must you comment on my ripped jeans, crop top, colored hair, shoes or my love for leggings. Does my wardrob really bother people that much. You don't like it, don't wear it.. Also don't fall for the whole constructive criticism excuse when people are really just giving you back handed compliments. No,"Its okay but i think that colors too dark for you" is NOT a compliment. You should never have to explain your physical appearance or why you like something on your body. I will never forget wearing lipstick out before and it wasn't anywhere special and I felt like i did something wrong because who I was with questioned me on it like I wasn't allowed.

4. Career goals.

With me wanting to be a teacher, I get fun questions all the time such as: You know they don't make hardly any money right? Do you really have the patience for that? Why would you want to do that with your life? Please please please stop. I want to because, I do. Also if you don't have a career in mind and you'd much rather work and just get money and theres nothing you want to commit to in the career field then go for it! If you are genuinely happy then why does it matter? LIVE FOR YOU

5. Not liking something.

When I say I don't like something it doesn't mean that I want you to convince me, It means I don't like it. I could have an explanation or I could not but you'll never know because I don't think its even worth explaining. I just don't like it. Thats all. Whether it be food, a person, a thing, or a place if you don't like it thats the end of the conversation. If you aren't hurting anyone and you just don't agree with it, then that okay!!

6. Being Friends with someone.

If you've ever been friends with two people that hate each other, you'll know what I mean. Why is it that when I mention someone or someone that I talk to sees me talking to someone they don't they automatically ask, Why are you friends with them? they have never been mean to you? If you do not want to be friends with someone and they just aren't who you want in your life you don't have to explain that either. Its your life, own it.

7. The person you're dating.

One thing that gets under my skin is when people ask why I'm with someone or what I see in them. Its none of your business and if they are making me happy and treating me right then thats all that matters. I don't see why you have to like the person I like, actually I'm glad you don't like them in that way because thats for me to do. You don't have to justify you not wanting to date someone either. If you don't want to you do not have to. Thats your choice and only yours.

8. Things you like to do for fun.

Just because you like partying and I like cooking at home and napping in my free time doesn't mean that its wrong. Do not feel bad because people are almost offended that you don't want to do what they like to do in your free time. You do not have to give anyone an explanation on why you want alone time or on your priorities in life.

9.Your religion.

You should never feel like you're pushed into a corner when talking about religion or lack of. I personally believe that this isn't even needed to be known unless you want to just openly talk about it. Your religion pertains to you and only you don't feel the need to explain and justify your right to believe in anything or nothing at all.

10. Your sex life.

If you're a consenting adult and your partner is a consenting adult, then that's all that matters. You don't need to explain to anyone who you're sleeping with or why. Its nobody's business to judge how many, who, when, why you're doing what you're doing or not doing it at all. You don't need to justify if you're 21 trying to conceive or if you're 30 and a virgin. That's no one's business but yours!