10 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I'd Packed For Freshman Year Of College

Listen up, high school seniors.

129
Baylor University / Instagram

It's so crazy to me to think that less than a year ago I was sitting in my old high school classrooms, awaiting graduation day not so patiently. Now in my second semester of freshman year, I've brought together a few things I wish someone would've told me going into college or things I've learned over the past seven months of my life here on campus.

What really inspired this list throughout the last two semesters is my little sister, a senior back home and about to begin college, who I want to be more prepared than I was going into college as the first person in the family to do so. So if you're a high school senior, here are a few things you should know before graduating:

1. Don't hate your high school life

It's kinda crazy how much I miss the life I lived at home in high school, don't spend the last few months at home in absolute hatred of this place you're stuck in. It's such a great chance to get out, meet new people and start a new life, but where you are now is your home and always will be, cherish the comfort of it while you're still there every day.

2. Appreciate seeing familiar faces

Going to a huge university is all fun and games until you realize some days you can go the entire day without seeing one familiar face out of 50,000. Even though you've known the kid that sits across from you in AP Bio since kindergarten and the girl that sits next to you has been your best friend since middle school, appreciate this now because soon you'll be walking around in August on a brand new campus looking at brand new faces all day, every day.

3. Enjoy that last summer

The summer before college is a weird one for everyone, but enjoy the time you have with your best friends before you all go off in your separate directions and start living your different lives and nothing is the same again.

4. (for the people in relationships): Make it work

It's not easy, but giving up isn't really as practical as everyone makes it sound either. Work through problems and try and make it work through the distance and differing schedules. Growing in college is special when you have someone to support you, even from miles away.

5. Be open to all kinds of new friends

The first few weeks of your freshman year are unlike any other, everyone is in the same boat as you, not really having a set friend group, or knowing who anyone is or how anything works. Take advantage of these weeks and open yourself up to new connections and friendships right away, don't be afraid of making new friends or seeming like you have no friends because no one really does!

6. Major in something you're passionate about

I've preached this endlessly to so many of my new friends this year, do something that you genuinely enjoy doing, that makes you happy, that drives you. Don't do it for the money or because it's what your dad wants you to do, do it for you because you're the one who has to wake up In twenty years and still love your life.

7. Go to the party

I remember being very timid about going to parties the during Welcome Week because, I mean, let's face it we've been warned about "college parties" for our entire lives. But honestly, do what makes you comfortable, have fun and make lots of memories because this is the only chance you have to do it.

8. But be smart about getting lit

So realistically, you're gonna go to parties but I 100% encourage designating a "mom" of the friend group for the night who will take care of anyone who's just a little too lit. Know what you're doing and if you feel unsafe or like you aren't in control of what's happening, grab a friend who can help you or get you an Uber home. Always make sure you have ALL of your friends before leaving one party and going to the next and never feel bad for not chugging a fifth because you don't want to die, just do you and be safe about it.

9. Balance your life

So, yes college is a lot of free time, a lot of freedom, and a lot of doing whatever you want but it's extremely important that you make sure you're balancing everything in your life. Between school, clubs/Greek life, partying, jobs, and just generally being a happy human it can be difficult to keep it all equal, but set priorities and make sure you stick to those. Don't let your grades slip because you're out partying on the Wednesday night before your Calc midterm, get your things in order and balance your life.

10. Love yourself

College is the perfect time for some well-needed self-growth. Loving yourself and having confidence in yourself are such important things that many people just overlook, especially in high school. It's so important to love who you are and be someone you want to be in this brand new world lying in front of you. Focus on you and growing yourself throughout this experience before you realize you've wasted lots of time being sad and not liking yourself for absolutely no reason.