10 Things I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me Before College

Because you can't always be prepared for everything.

60

College is a crazy ride of late nights, deadlines, and unforgettable memories. However, some things that you experience in college come at you totally unexpected. Here are ten things that I wish I would have known before I started my first semester in college.

1. The friends you make that first week of college aren't going to be your friends forever.

Sure, they're your very first friends that you make when you come to college, but they more than likely won't be there forever, and that's okay. You guys became friends because it was a new and scary experience. However, as you get farther into the semester, you start to get more comfortable with your new home and start branching out. You start to join clubs, participate in greek life, choose different houses and start making friends in your classes.

2. You're going to be broke. But you'll be okay.

I always thought I was broke in high school, but that was nothing compared to how broke I am in college. Even though I didn't have a lot of money in high school, I still had my mom there at home to cook for me and spot me a little gas money when I needed it. However, now I'm on my own and all that I have to eat is frozen TV dinners.

3. You'll also learn how to make $5 last you a whole week, maybe longer.

In high school, $5 would last me a day. But now that I'm in college? I can keep 5 dollars in my account for a week or longer if I need to.

4. You aren't going to find Mr. Perfect right away.

You know how in movies when the girl is unloading her car and moving into her dorm, and she accidentally runs into or sees some really cute guy and they end up with a happily ever after love story? Yeah, that doesn't happen. Even in college, guys are still maturing and maybe some even are doing the opposite of it. You aren't going to run into that special someone right away and might not meet him for awhile. Find your girl gang, and that's all you need.

5. You can avoid gaining the Freshman 15.

Everyone always says that not gaining the freshman 15 is impossible. However, with a little discipline, believe it or not, you can avoid it. It will be hard, but if you choose healthier options on campus, be selfish about your sleep, and find an activity to keep you in shape, you will have no problems avoiding the extra weight gain.

6. You are going to miss your family a lot.

When I was getting ready to move away for college, I never put much thought into how much I would miss my family. I was only going an hour away, so I figured I would be able to visit them often. However, I was wrong. College keeps you busy, and you don't always have time to go home. I always have to remind myself that no matter how much I miss them, this is part of growing up and that no matter what, I'll always have a home.

7. Time management is super important.

I learned about this the first week of college at orientation, but I didn't understand the importance of it until I actually had to put it into practice. Time management is super, super, super important and can really benefit you if you figure out how to use it.

8. You're going to be stressed. You'll be okay.

There are going to be times during your college career when you'll be so stressed that you just want to lay in your bed and cry. Trust me. Take a deep breath, pull yourself together, and tackle one thing at a time. Don't try and overload yourself too much, and reward yourself for working hard.

9. College professors are pretty cool people and do want you to succeed.

So, you're probably thinking the same thing I thought when I walked into my first class that had about 300 people in it. "How could this professor care about me and my grade when there are so many people in here?" However, they really do. Going in during office hours for questions or for help really pays off. It shows them that you care about your grade, which will make them want to help you succeed a lot more.

10. Making new friends = new connections!

This is another important thing that no one really talks about. It's good to get out there and meet new people because you never know who might be good at math and will be able to help you on that algebra assignment that's due tomorrow, or works at the place you want to apply at and is able to put in a good word for you. Making connections is an important part of success, so try it out!