10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Freshman Year Of College

#10 is definitely the most important.

79

College is something you've been looking forward to for your whole life. It's a chance to start over, make new friends, get away from home, start your career, and finally live on your own. There are so many things to look forward to and you just can't wait to start. But there are a lot of things I wish I knew before move-in day rolled around. Here are 10 pieces of advice for anyone about to embark on the wonderful journey known as...freshman year of college.

1. A smile and an awkward introduction can take you a long way

Starting your life over in an entirely new place can be terrifying, but it's also a chance for you to reinvent yourself and start off on the right foot. You aren't going to meet people by staying in your dorm or only hanging out with one other person, so make an effort to be nice and friendly to every person you meet. Ask to join a lunch table of friendly faces or offer to study with a classmate, but overall just be kind and start getting to know everyone.

2. Move-in is exciting, scary, sad, and stressful all in one

You probably won't be getting too much sleep the night before move-in day because you'll be too excited. You have to wake up early and drive for what seems like forever before you actually arrive. This can cause you to be crabby before the stressful events even begin. You have to leave your home, your friends, and your parents so it's also extremely sad. But whatever you're feeling, try not to let your emotions get the better of you. It's going to be hot, you're going to sweat, there's going to be way too many people in your tiny room trying to set things up, but it will all be over in a matter of hours. Don't snap at your parents because you're frustrated, they're just trying to help. Move-in day is the start of something new, so try to keep a positive attitude about it. Let your dad set up the loft, ask your mom to organize your clothes, and be sure to hug your family before they leave because this is a big day for them too.

3. Some people have their lives completely figured out (but you don't have to)

Some people have known since they were 6 years old that they want to be a teacher or a nurse. They brought in credits and have already taken classes that pertain to their major. You don't have to be one of those people. You don't have to declare your major right away and you don't have to have your life figured out. By taking a few classes that sound intriguing to you in completely different fields, you might narrow down your interests and start to set yourself in the right direction. But no matter how much or how little planning you've done, sooner or later you will have it all figured out. Counselors, advisors, peers, etc will help you to arrange your schedule and pick classes to achieve a degree. No matter what...you will graduate.

4. You're about to meet so many new people

Don't worry about making your roommate your best friend or about making the perfect first impression. You will find people that have common interests with you pretty easily. Chances are, you probably won't meet your best friend on move-in day. Be patient, be social, be kind, and don't be afraid to be yourself--friends will come along.

5. Don't take 8ams

Honestly just don't. Even if you're a morning person or are used to getting up early, you will wear yourself out within the first 2 weeks of the semester. Most people stay up way later than they should and then can't function until at least 9:30. Sleep is so important and no one wants to wake up at the ass-crack of dawn to shower and get ready for an 8am class, so just try to avoid them at all costs.

6. Try to take classes that sound fun, you're interested in, AND ones that fulfill credits

Generals can be a hassle and also pretty boring at the same time, but they don't have to be. You can fulfill a science credit without taking a daunting class like chemistry, you can take something more interesting to you like environmental studies or astronomy. And just because you're majoring in business doesn't mean you can't take classes like photography or dance. Take classes that sound exciting or try something completely out of your comfort zone. You never know, it could end up being your favorite part of the week.

7. Get a job

College is expensive...you need all the help you can get to pay for tuition and loans. Try to apply for a work study on campus that could potentially help you with your major or something that applies to your career interests. You can make connections with people there that might be helpful in the future and you can meet other students with similar passions as you. Plus you get paid, so that's a big bonus.

8. You can guarantee yourself a better grade if you utilize professors' office hours

Going to office hours is extremely beneficial. Professors will basically pre-grade your papers before you turn them in and you can get helpful feedback on how to improve your essay. They can also answer any questions you might have about an assignment or set you back on the right track if you've completely misunderstood a prompt. Plus, you'll create a stronger relationship with your professor. They'll see that you're making an effort and might take that into consideration when you ask for a recommendation letter or when they're grading class participation.

9. Dorms aren't that bad

I honestly thought cramming all my stuff into a tiny space and living with another person was going to be awful, but it's not as bad as you think. You're almost never in your room and there are plenty of ways to increase storage space. You'll have enough room for all your belongings, don't worry. Shelves, containers, bins, tubs, bed lofts and risers are all ways to make a small room fit everything you need. And you definitely don't need to pack everything you think you'll need from home if you rarely use it. If you ever need to borrow something, it's more than likely someone on your floor will have it. Before you know it, your tiny little dorm room will start to feel like home.

10. Cherish your last few months of high school

I know college is exciting to think about and it's coming up so quickly. All you want is to move on with your life. But please cherish your last few months of high school before they're gone. You're going to miss all your friends and the memories you made at school. Homecoming, Prom, sports, choir, theater, teachers, field trips, and snow days are all going to be a thing of the past. College is amazing and this new chapter of your life will be a wonderful change, but don't miss out on some amazing opportunities of the present because you're too busy staring into the future!