10 Things To Know About Summer Internships

6

1. Be over prepared and know the company you are interning for.

Many times students apply for internships just for the experience and have no idea what makes up the company. Make sure you check out the website, products or at least the CEO’s name, so you will be prepared when you walk in the door. The more you know about the company, the more you will be aware of their needs.

2.Work casual and campus casual are two different things.

You probably dressed professionally for your interview for this opportunity so continue to exhibit this behavior. You may not have to wear a suit at some internships, but make sure you are aware of the company’s dress code.

3. Get really good at emailing and using social media.

As an intern, emailing other professionals and updating social media sites are most likely going to be part of your responsibilities. Make sure you know how you should reply to emails and write concise tweets.

4. Make a good impression.

The company you are interning for may potentially be your first job after college. If not that, they will be used as a reference for another future job or internship. If you take this seriously, it could benefit you greatly in the future. Don’t be afraid to go above and beyond to impress the company.

5. You are essentially a pledge.

Remember this and live by it. If you are asked to make a million copies or go to Starbucks 20 times in one day, it must be done. Even though at times it will suck because you are most likely not being paid, you are there for the opportunity of a future career. Remember that.

6. Ask questions.

Most companies understand that you are an intern, and this is your time to learn before you are eventually hired. Even if you don’t understand the task at hand, make sure you are asking questions to understand the best you can. It is better to ask questions and learn than make a huge mistake.

7. Don’t use bad language.

This is a no brainer. If you use foul language around your peers, it should not enter the workplace, even if you hear other workers exhibiting this behavior. You must remember you are the intern, therefore the lowest of the low, and they are watching your every move.

8. Be timely.

You must be on time for everything and meet deadlines. If you are asked to do a task, work hard to complete it within the given time frame. You will also earn brownie points if you get it completed before schedule.

9. Monitor your growth.

Keep a bullet-point list of the tasks you have accomplished and the things you have learned. You can use this in future interviews and even add it to your resume.

10. Network yourself.

Now is your time to meet professionals in your career path. You are there to work for the company you are interning for, but if you show outstanding work ethic, other opportunities may arise. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself (at appropriate times) to as many professionals as possible. It is all about building personal connections.