10 Things to do Before Heading Back to College

Don't forget to put these on your To-Do list!

31
Megan McBride

Somehow, our 3 months of summer are down to weeks, and we are scrambling to pack for school yet again. I'm sure a lot of us have lists of what to do before that fateful Move-In Day, but here are some things you may have overlooked.

1. Spend time with your friends and family.

No matter where you go to school, it's likely there are some people you care about who you won't get to see as often as you'd like once school starts. Make sure to spend extra time with these people, whether it be your parents, friends that are still in high school, or a family pet. If you don't, you will definitely regret it when the next time you can see them is November.

2. Reach out to school friends and roommates.

Going back to school can be hard when you've been away from your classmates and roomies all summer. Sending them a message or even hanging out with them if you can could make it a lot easier to reconnect by the time fall semester comes. If your friends haven't heard from you since May, and you expect to start hanging out immediately once you're back on campus, that might be a little awkward.

3. Actually start packing.

I know we all keep telling ourselves and our parents "I'll start tomorrow," when in reality we don't even know where our Keurig is (it was on the stairs in June, I swear!) Make a list of what you absolutely need, and find those things first. Then go from there. Pack up your fall clothes and have them good to go, even though it's too hot to even think about wearing a sweater. It's New England, guys; it could snow on move-in day for all we know! If you don't start packing soon, you will definitely forget things and you'll be kicking yourself about it later.

4. Look over your class schedule.

Classes are fast approaching, meaning so is the Add/Drop period. Start thinking now about what classes you are looking forward to (or are requirements) and what you might end up switching out of. Make sure you look and see if there are any mistakes or 8am classes you want to change out of. Make sure you are ready for things like this! If you are thinking about dropping a class before you have even met the professor, you probably should hold off on buying the books until you've decided.

5. Start applying for jobs on or around campus.

This is the time that companies and on campus jobs are starting their searches. Make sure you hop right to it, or you could miss it all. Checking your school's website at least once a week is a pretty smart move. You don't want your dream job to be taken before you even knew it was available!

6. Stock up on school supplies.

I know it might be obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many people showed up on the first day of classes without pens and paper. It isn't high school anymore, guys. You most likely won't get a list the first day telling you what to bring. For some reason, these professors expect us to know that we need a pen and a notebook for class. Almost like we have been doing it for twelve years or something. It's insane! But now I've warned you. You're welcome.

7. Organize your bedroom at home.

My mom has been asking me to do this all summer, and I really wish I had actually listened. (She really is always right, isn't she?) You definitely don't want to come home on Thanksgiving Break and find your room a disaster- that short vacation is made for relaxing, not cleaning your room. Do it now, especially since it'll help a lot with #3 and #6.

8. Start looking for textbooks.

I know a lot of us like to wait for the first week of classes to get our books, but if you start looking now you'll have time to find the cheapest copies. There are a bunch of websites that have books way cheaper than you'll find them in your school bookstore. Make sure you search everywhere you can think of before you spend your whole summer's earnings on your fall books.

9. Reintroduce yourself to the area around your campus.

If you haven't been to the city your school is in since last semester, you might want to spend a day there with your friends to refresh your memory. Find all of your old favorite stores, check out the new ones that may have opened up, and look out for things you might have missed last year. And if you take public transportation there, it could be a fun way to show your friends without cars how to come visit you, too!

10. Enjoy yourself.

With all the things you have to do to get ready for September, you have to still take time to enjoy the last few weeks of summer. Don't dwell on saying goodbye to friends- instead, have so much fun that you forget the goodbye is coming. Set aside some time to relax, maybe nap, and just hang out. Get everything done as soon as possible so you can spend your last week the way you want to.