10 Things To Be True When You Come From A Big Family

You call it chaos; we call it family.

250
Facebook

1. Someone's always expecting a baby or announcing an engagement.

Having a big family means there is never a dull moment. At a family party, there is either a cousin holding a newborn or a couple talking about their wedding plans. It also means that I’ve been to more weddings at 19 than my friends will go to in their entire life and if I can’t find a job after college, babysitting is always an option.

2. You're always nervous to bring a boyfriend/girlfriend to a family event.

Bringing a boyfriend or girlfriend to a family event is not an easy decision. Will they be overwhelmed? Yes. Will it scare them away? Most likely. Are they tough enough to handle all the jokes and making fun of? You hope so. You even have to warn them ahead of time about having a big family, but yet they still always seem shocked. My aunt once told us a story about the first time her boyfriend came over for dinner. They walked in together as the family was sitting around the table. He saw them all and walked right back out. It's safe to say that he is not the one she is married to today.

3. You can't remember everyone's name.

Sometimes you just have to stick to the “Hey” because you're bound to say Matt instead of Adam or Victoria instead of Alex. The worst thing is when there is a new baby and you say “Hi” in that cute baby voice, but you're really wondering who the hell that is- little do you know it’s your cousin.

4. Taking a family photo is a chore.

No, you can’t just announce “Let's take a photo” and bam! You have one nice Christmas picture. It usually takes about 10 announcements for everyone to be aware that a picture will be taken soon. After that about 10 more to actually move everyone into a space big enough. From there you have to count the aunts and uncles, the grandkids, and great grandkids. Usually one is missing so then we have to find the little cousin still playing hide and seek, and by the time we do another one is gone.

5. You have to plan an hour before you leave because it'll take an hour to say bye to everyone.

When having a big family, there isn't such a thing as “Let’s say goodbye quickly.” Want to leave at 6? Better start giving your hugs and kisses at 5. Your chatty aunt will probably ask six questions about school and your sad love life and your cousin Jim will probably try to crack a few jokes before you can even get a “bye” in.

6. There is no such thing as silence.

This can be both good and bad. No silence also means someone's always laughing or telling jokes, but it also means it won’t go away when you have a headache.

7. Someone is always bound to ask you if you're related to "them".

I can’t go a week without someone asking “ Are you a Maslen?” Yes I am. “Are you Chris Maslen’s daughter?” That’s my uncle. "Is your name Jenna?" Nope, that's my cousin. I guess we can expect this when our family is big enough to populate half of a town. To grandma- if you're reading this - thank you for such a strong nose trait. Now I can be identified as who I belong to from a mile away.

8. Your grandparents are superheroes.

Having ten kids is always a joke about why my grandparents did that to themselves. They now have 26 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren with more to come.

9. You experience an overwhelming amount of love and support.

Being from a big family doesn't mean I have a few people to turn to. It means I have more than I could ever imagine. Everyone's always there to support you on your next great milestone in life or love you when you need it most. It's true what they say- the more the merrier.

10. You couldn't imagine it any other way.

Sometimes all the names can get confusing and the family parties can cause a headache, but you would never trade in the big family dinners around the table or the confusing and unorganized yankee swap at Christmas for anything. You wouldn't trade the noisy gatherings for quiet time, or the unbearable love for alone time.

Being from a big family is a blessing and I wouldn't want it any other way.