10 Things They Forgot To Tell Us About An 'Adult Summer'

They should have mentioned these before hand.

7
Mentor Services

Summer is always great. UV rays soaking into your skin, and weather that makes you enjoy being outside. However, as we get older we have to face a harsh reality check to an adult summer. Here are 10 things no one told us we would have to deal with in an adult summer:

1. It can be just as much work as the school year.

Between high-pressure internships, summer jobs, and summer classes summer break isn't really a break.

2. Internships and work experience are so important.

Future employers love to see that you have had previous work experience, so taking that break you desire is never really an option.

3. E- mail is key.

Communicating professionally is very important, but over the summer when taking online classes or working in online internships this is showcased. So perfect your email signature!!!

4. The money you make gets spent very quickly.

When you have to spend the money you make, then you see how quickly money goes.

5. Getting a tan is much harder when you're older than it is when you're a kid.

Sure, time is limited, and sure there are other responsibilities. But as a kid, it just felt like the perfect tan happened in a day, as an adult not so much.

6. Making plans around a work schedule is no easy task.

Driving is great and all but working and trying to see your university friends during the summer is harder than actually getting the internships (not actually of course.)

7. At one point in the summer, you hope that this is all paying off so that you can get that dream job, or dream internship next summer.

As successful college students, we all do things so that one day they will contribute to our goals. Personally, this summer I took a class, am working, and doing internships so that next summer I can get the internship I truly desire. However, this is just part of the adult summer.

8. Trying to find time to relax is important.

Finding time to sit by a pool, sip an icy drink and read a good book is key; because before you know it, it's going to be August and we'll be back to the stresses of school again! Make sure to get any relaxation in while you can.

9. If you're feeling overwhelmed this summer, or any summer, that's okay.

Often people feel overwhelmed in the summer, but then feel that they shouldn't be overwhelmed because it's summer, and then feel overwhelmed that they are overwhelmed. It is okay to feel overwhelmed at any time, for however long. It never helps stress to stress about being stressed. Let yourself be overwhelmed, own the stress.

10. Adult summers are more difficult, but also more rewarding!

Sure, it's more work, but that's just because we are more successful now. Enjoy the success, and bask in our millennial take over!

Happy adult summer!!!