10 Things That Only Make Sense to Millennials In Lisle

Millennials in Lisle know most of these things to be true

39

1. You probably hung out at Circle K in high school

As weird as it was, that was the place to meet up. If people were out on a Friday night, you could be sure they were stopping at Circle K first to throw $10 in their tank and grab a Polar Pop, and maybe, even a swisher, depending on who they were and their plans for the night. But either way, there were always at least two cars in the parking lot that you knew.

2. The Book Nook was and is THE place to buy candy

We got a little spoiled growing up. We could just ride our bikes to downtown Lisle and head over to the Nook with $5 and boom; candy for the rest of the month. We got the old school candy store with five cent pieces of candy. And it was awesome! Even now, it's still like the only place to go if you want ice cream without leaving Lisle.

3. Our school system made no sense

You probably started out in preschool at the Meadows center. Then Kindergarten at Schiesher Elementry school BUT WAIT! Then we were sent to Tate Woods for first grade and second grade, then back to Schiesher for fourth through fifth. Then Junior High and High School. Why? Because why would we make a school district that's easy to follow? That makes too much sense.

4. On the topic of school... Mr. Cunningham was public enemy number one

It didn't matter if you were a good kid or a bad kid in high school. Everyone had one thing in common; we strongly disliked Mr. Cunningham. And we all warned each other when he was coming down the hallway with what I like to refer to as the "Cunningham Call". You know what I'm talking about; we'd put our hand up to our faces to mimic his mustache and move our fingers. You probably got told as a freshman that he would hide babies in there and eat them later.

5. Johnny's is the best place for gyros, hot dogs, and of course, chili cheese fries

There really is no comparison. Do you want the best gyro in town? Johnny's. Want a good hot dog but don't want to go to Portillo's? Johnny's. Just want a root beer and some chili cheese fries? Johnny's. Anyone from out of town just didn't understand your obsession. Until they tried it, that is. It just isn't a trip home from college if you don't stop into Johnny's for some grub.

6. Nel's

It's also not a trip home if you don't stop for a beer at Nel's. Want a high school reunion without all the planning? Walk into Nel's on a Saturday night during a college break; at least ten people you went to high school with are sitting at the bar. Not sure what the huge appeal is, but you're there, and so is everyone else.

7. DECATHORAMA

It was the best part of Homecoming week! Decathorama was the competition of the high school grades the week of homecoming. And even though it's pretty much rigged so that the seniors win every year, we still get super competitive with it. The food race was always fun to watch and who could forget the awesome performances by our male drill teams. Warpaint and all, we screamed our heads off and turned our backs on the other classes and yelled "Go home Freshman!" every year.

8. You probably worked at one of these places;

If you had a job in high school, you probably worked at one of the following; Dan's Pizza, Weldon's hardware store, SLAP, Bono's, Passaro's, Family Video, or Evviva. Let's face it; pretty much all of us have worked at one of these places at some point in time. Pizza is pretty much the go-to career choice for Lisle high school students.

9. Eyes to the Skies

When we were little it was the coolest festival ever. I'm not sure if it's because we got older and had to spend our own money, but it got a little less fun over the years.... and yet every year, you spend the $7 to get in and walk around and spend money on food, rides, and shopping. There are plenty of other good festivals going on the weekend of the Fourth of July but... they're just not Lisle Fest (and they don't have the Balloon Juice). It's not super spectacular, but it's ours and every year, without fail, we all attend. Call it Lisle pride or whatever, but I'll probably go to Lisle Fest for the rest of my life.

10. You took prom/homecoming pictures in community park

There's probably like 800 photos of you and your friends on the bridge in community park, posing for prom pictures or homecoming pictures. They all look exactly the same and every kid takes the same pictures, every year. But hey, they look nice and unless you want to pay to take pictures at the Arboretum, it's like the only super nice place to take pictures in Lisle. And it's right by the high school and free.