10 Things That Happen When You Tell People You Have Celiac

It's a lot of confusion.

44
Fork Off Gluten

Not many people claim to know what celiac disease is, and if they do, the definition they have in mind is the complete opposite of what it really is. Celiac is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks itself (specifically the intestines) when you eat gluten or anything that has come in contact with gluten. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye products. Although it's in a lot of foods, there are plenty of yummy, gluten-free options. However, not everyone understands the severity of this disease and are often very confused by it. This is what happens when you try to explain what celiac is to people.

1. When you tell them you can't eat gluten.

2. When you tell them it means you can't have pizza.

3. When they ask if it's curable.

4. When they think it's just a food allergy.

5. When they think they have it, too.

6. Because every time they eat an entire pizza pie their stomach hurts.

7. When they "know what it's like" because their mom's coworker's daughter's best friend has it.

8. When they tell you it's all in your head.

9. When they try to touch your gluten-free pizza without washing their hands.

10. When they offer you pizza anyway.