9 Things That Surprised Me About England

What a Yank learned during his time abroad.

225
Brandon Saraniti

For the last two weeks, my family and I toured the British Isles, visiting England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland and Wales. It was hard to truly experience each country within such a short period of time, and it would be impossible to write about each country within one article. For now, I would like to share the many adventures and lessons I learned to the U.K.'s most populated country, England so that you can have an even better time traveling to the Land of Hope and Glory!

Grasmere Village, England

Let's start off with the most populated area: London.

1. It has an incredibly diverse population.

I did not expect that London would be equally as diverse as New York City, in fact, I think it is more varied than the Big Apple! According to the BBC, the UK has a net inflow 125,000 immigrants in 2013. The USA is in second with 110,000. The majority of conversations we would have with locals were people from all around the world living in London, may it be from Norway, France, India, or Ukraine, it'll be impossible to not run into someone originally not from England.

Hyde Park next to Buckingham Palace, originally the King's hunting grounds

2. It is fairly easy to get around downtown.

Unlike cities like NYC (I'm sorry, I don't mean to roast you!) It was relatively easy to get around downtown. As long as you are near the River Thames (pronounced "tames") it is simple to see all of the famous tourist attractions. Westminster Abbey was right next door to the Big Ben and Parliament, Tower of London was across Tower Bridge, and right after seeing Buckingham Palace, you can empty your husband or boyfriend's wallet at Harrods!

There is also the Tube, you can buy a guest ticket when visiting. If you do use it, just remember,

Inside The Tube

3. London and the City of London are separate cities!

Tower Bridge and the City of London to the right

I knew this fun fact before heading to England, but it is such an awesome thing to share! Inside London, there is the City of London, a city that is so old,nobody can clearly say when it began. This city has its own mayor and is known to be one of the largest bank capitals on earth. Wondering if you're inside the City of London, look for this guild.

Many of famous landmarks, like Tower Bridge, are owned by the city. Here is a fantastic video by CGP Grey explaining the City of London's history!

The (Secret) City of London, Part 1: History

4. The food was awesome.

It is quite a known stereotype that Brits have bland food. A phrase my dad always likes to say is, "The English eat to live, and the Italians live to eat." The belief that the English have bland food may have stemmed from WWII when much of the citizens rationed their food. Once we arrived in London, we were proven wrong! Breakfasts were hearty, lunches were savory, and dinners were perfect! Fish n Chips are fried to perfection, Bangers and Mash warmed my heart, and the Meat Pies blew me away! Just make sure not to think of Sweeney Todd when you eat them...

Meat Pies

Iconic Fish n' Chips

Don't forget to have an Afternoon Tea as well!

Afternoon Tea at the Cellarium, underneath Westminster Abbey

5. Black Cabs are the BEST way to take a tour of London

Iconic Black Cab passing Buckingham Palace

My family and I took an on-and-off bus tour throughout London to see the city more, but we were pretty disappointed, it was an audio tour, the bus was overly crowded, and the tour barely spoke about what we would see. When we would grab a taxi back to our hotel, we received a pleasant surprise of having an incredible surprise of having a great local driver. Each driver we had during our time in London would talk to us about the history of London and gave us a mini tour while driving to our destination. The Black Cab business offers personal guided tours in their cabbies! The tours are a bit more expensive, but if you want to see London through a locals eyes, this is the best way to do it.

6. Pubs usually close around 11 p.m.

The Wellington, a great pub on Covent Garden

It is shocking for Americans when traveling to England to learn that one of her most iconic staples close at a fairly early time (at least in our minds)

Make sure to start your long awaited Pub Crawl a little bit earlier than expected, and make sure to try all of the fantastic local beers!

7. Brits love discussing politics.

Every time we said we were American to a local, it was pretty easy to start discussing politics, both British and American politics. The first questions we would receive are "What to you think of Trump?" or "Are you voting for Hillary Clinton?" It was great discussing my countries problems outside of my country. What was better though is getting involved in their politics. As June 23rd approaches sooner, many British citizens are deciding their views for the UK referendum to leave the European Union. This debate has gone on since Margaret Thatcher's era, and being there during such a historic time. It was great to get a deep insight the British Economy and David Cameron's overall approval rating during his last decade as Prime Minister. I believe American youths should get more involved in world politics because it is an excellent way to get more involved, and it is pretty fascinating!

8. No famous city is alike in England.

The number one city we tend to think of in England is London. It is a fascinating city, but many tend to forget all of the incredible discoveries through the towns across the country. May it be...

Seeing the Roman Baths and Georgian Architecture in Bath

The Roman Baths, Bath, England

Exploring Shakespeare's roaming grounds in Stratford upon Avon

The House of Anne Hathaway, Shakespeare's wife

The House Shakespeare was born in

Having a relaxing river cruise on the UK's largest lake, Windermere Lake

Feeling like you are roaming through a Middle Age's Village in York

or

Living like the Queen in Windsor

Views of Windsor Castle

There is an abundance of adventures to see in England. What shocks me is that this is only England, the UK has another three countries filled with memories! If you travel to the UK, I recommend spending time in two countries. This will give you a deeper understanding of the UK, and you will have more time to soak in the hidden treasures you will find! Before I finish, there is one more important fact I must share...

9. Sheep. Sheep Everywhere.

Fact: There are more sheep in the United Kingdom than there are grains of sand on Earth.