10 Things To Do For Lent

10 Things To Do For Lent

Instead of giving something up, do something that will make a positive impact on who you are

21
Mari Helin-Touminen

If you're like me, a few days have passed since Ash Wednesday and you're still stuck on what to give up for Lent this year. When you were a little kid, it was easy – you just stopped eating chocolate for a month and then gorged yourself on Easter candy when it was over. Now we're at a point in our lives where we should probably be doing something a little more significant than that, something that will actually help us be better people.

1. Take a break from social media.

This one is pretty basic and something worth trying if you find yourself scrolling through Instagram for 3 hours straight instead of writing a paper that's due the next day.

2. Stop wearing makeup.

Probably more challenging, but the end result will be worth it. Think of how your skin will glow after being fresh faced for 40 days.

3. Go back to the gym.

If you already gave up on your New Years Resolution, now is the perfect time to pick it back up again. After all, Lent ends right around Spring Break and Formal SZN.

4. Meet one new person every day.

Talk to the person sitting next to you in class, ahead of you on line at Starbucks, or just someone you pass walking around campus. You never know who you might meet and how much of an impact they can have on your life.

5. Put your phone away when you're with other people.

This is my goal for Lent, I've been making a conscious effort to stay off my phone when I'm with my friends or family. Being present in the moment is way more important than whatever is happening on that tiny screen.

6. Think positive!

Instead of thinking about all the papers and tests that are stressing you out each week, think about something happy to work towards. It will motivate you to get through the more difficult tasks and keep you in a positive mindset.

7. Speak your mind.

Often times we find ourselves holding back because we don't know how others will react to our opinions. Try sharing how you feel about things and see what happens, you might feel pretty relieved to get things off your chest.

8. Donate clothes to charity.

Take a look at your closet and you would be surprised how many things you don't wear anymore. Even if you just set aside one item for each day of Lent to donate you will make a huge difference in so many people's lives. Added bonus is the extra space you'll have for new clothes.

9. Journal.

Write down what happens each day, the small little gestures that made you smile, the joke your friend told you that made you cry laughing, or the genuine advice that made the day bearable. It will help you on the harder days to look at back at all the things you have to be grateful for.

10. Call your family.

Not just your parents, but all the other relatives you usually only speak to when you're home for the holidays. They would love to hear your voice and catch up on everything that's happening in your life. I know it's hard to not get caught up in the fun (and not so fun times) of school, but remember that your family misses you.

They say it takes about 60 days to form a new habit, so if you start making positive changes during Lent, you can alter your life for the better. Maybe you weren't able to keep your New Year's Resolution, but that doesn't mean you should give up on making 2017 your year.