10 Things Girls Who Like Football Are Tired Of Hearing

Because it's that time of year again ladies.

25
Kyra Debevits

It's that time of year again! As of Thursday, September 8, the NFL kicked off the first game of the season with the matchup between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos. I know this because for as long as I can remember, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching football every Sunday, and anyone who knows me knows my extreme love for the Pittsburgh Steelers. But wait, I am a girl. And I like football. To some people this seems sort of off. Football is a man's sport, why should I like it, or try to be educated in its subject? Well here are ten things that I'm sure most girls who like football can all agree they are tired of hearing every season.

1. "Wow!! You like football! That's crazy!"

Yes. I do like football, actually. But can you explain to me why that strikes you as odd? Is it because I'm a girl? Oh wait, because as a girl, I must lack some gene that would make me like sports, and because I like them, that must make me some sort of freak of nature, right?

2. "But HOW do you know so much about football?"

Huh. It could be because I actually enjoy it. And that I'm interested in it and want to know anything I can about it. Oh wait, I forgot I'm a girl.

3. "If you know so much about football, who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl III?"

This one always gets me. Men find out that you are a fan, and suddenly it's as if you need to prove that you are worthy, but knowing some outlandish statistic, that even they probably don't know.

4. "You only like that team because they're good."

Right. Because they've been excellent for the entire 21 years I've been a fan. But who am I to talk, I'm clearly not the football expert here.

5. "You only like that team because your dad does."

While I can't say you are entirely wrong here, this also doesn't mean I didn't have the mental capabilities to change which team I wanted to support over the years.

6. "It isn't ladylike to scream like that."

Oops. Sorry. I forgot what it meant to be a proper lady.

7. "I bet the only reason you watch football is because you like how the uniforms make the players' butts look."

Exactly. Because those uniforms are so distracting that I can't concentrate on the game.

8. "Do you actually know what that holding call meant?"

Yes, actually, I do. And I also know what off sides means. And what pass interference is. And intentional grounding. Should I continue?

9. "You don't look like someone who would be into football."

Is there a certain way a girl who likes football is supposed to look?

10. "I think it's hot when a girl likes football."

Trust me. That's not what our intention is here. We aren't trying to impress guys. We just generally like football. But thanks for trying.