10 Things To Do In Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge

It's the middle of the summer and if you are wanting to have a little vacation but don't know where to look, but have you considered going to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge?

30
Ferris wheel in Pigeon Forge
unslpash

We all want to go on a little get-away once and a while but sometimes we don't know where to start looking. When choosing to go to Gatlinburg and/or Pigeon Forge you can easily do a full week or a weekend if that's what you like, and it's not as expensive as places like Disney. So here are my top recommendations when at Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Ober Gatlinburg

Ober Gatlinburg is a terrific extension to Gatlinburg that fills your whole day with fun. To get into Ober Gatlinburg you can either drive or take the aerial tram from Gatlinburg where you can experience the best view of The Smoky Mountains at 11,000 feet. Ober Gatlinburg is Tennessee's only ski and skateboard area and they are open all year round. They have so many activities such as summer tubing, Oktoberfest, skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, ice skating, and ice bumper cars. No Matter what time of year you go, you and your whole family will have a blast and will already be planning your trip back.

Gatlinburg Space Needle

The Gatlinburg Space Needle is a 407 feet observation tower that overlooks downtown Gatlinburg. You can get a 360 degree view of Gatlinburg and The Great Smoky Mountains. The Space Needle is open all year round so you will have a different experience with each season you visit.

Anakeesta

Anakeesta is a theme park in Gatlinburg where you can have adventure,relax, and explore.You and your family can ride the the Scenic Chondola where you can "experience the magic of the mountains" by riding up 600 feet to the summit of Anakeesta Mountain and take on the skies in Race On A Dueling Zip-line where you are high above the forest floor. You can enjoy the new fast-paced Rail Runner Mountain Coaster that is the first of its kind in the United States, and then you can relax by taking in the beautiful views as you stroll the trails in the lush botanical Vista Gardens. Now matter when you visit, there is always something to do when you're in Anakeesta.

Gatlinburg's Mysterious Mansion

If you are into haunted houses and all things horror, than this is for you. The house is designed and decorated in the early 1900's style with an old Victorian persona. It is an unguided tour where you find your way through secret, eerie corridors, winding staircases and more. They are open all year round ready for you to explore, if you dare.

The Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum

You may be thinking I am making this up but no, this is a real place. It is the worlds only museum dedicated to salt and pepper shakers and hosts over 20,000 sets of shakers from all over the world. The types of shakers range from all different kinds including vegetables to famous pieces of art. On their website you can learn where the salt comes from from, information about pepper, why they chose a museum and more. You can even take a virtual tour if you are still skeptical about it and visit the gift shop for all your collectible needs. The Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum will defiantly be the most unique experience while you are in Gatlinburg.

Titanic Museum Attraction

Have you ever wondered what life was like on the famous RMS Titanic, well now you can leave curiosity behind and set sail on the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge. Before entry, you are assigned a card that has information on an actual passenger of the Titanic. The card will list what class they were on the ship, why they were onboard, their jobs on the ship, and whether they survived the wreckage or not. The exterior is shaped like the real RMS Titanic, so you can't miss it. Once inside you tour the ship by finding out about the ship, passengers, workers, Captain Smith, and more. The employees are even dressed in the early 1900s attire. The Museum has replica living conditions of some passengers and workers and even has some areas dedicated to famous passengers. When designing the museum, they were also able to get a copy of the original blueprints for the grand staircase and made an exact replica of it. It's a truly extravagant experience and a great way to learn and honor history.

The Hollywood Wax Museum

Have you ever wanted to get a picture with your favorite celebrities? Well now you can, sort of. The Hollywood Wax Museum features wax figures of Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen DeGeneres, Michael Jackson, and many more. With each wax figure scene, they may have props for you including hats, canes, gloves, weights, and more. And if you get the VIP pass, you can go to the very top floor of the museum and look out over Pigeon Forge.

Wonder Works in Pigeon Forge

Wonder Works stands out from the rest of the other attractions due to its exterior being upside down. Wonder Works is an indoor amusement park with over 35,000 square feet of educated fun. They combine education and entertainment with over a hundred hands-on exhibits. They have several different "wonder zones" where you explore natural disasters, light & sound, space, art, and more. In addition to these, they also offer indoor ropes challenge and laser tag. Wonder Works is a great place for all your family and friends and is an excellent place that makes your mind wonder.

Fly Away Indoor Skydiving

Fly Away is America's first ventricle wind tunnel and it gives you the experience of flying without the fear of jumping out of an airplane. They have a single flyer experience or a "block party" experience, so whether you're flying solo or have a full party, you are guaranteed fun. Fly Away Indoor Skydiving even offers classes every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. They also have an observation deck so you can watch other -or your friends and family- for free. There is something for everyone at Fly Away,so forget your parachute and come on over.

Alcatraz East Crime Museum

For those of you who are fascinated with all things crime, this is the place for you. Alcatraz East was opened in 2016 and was formally operated as the National Museum of Crime & Punishment in Washington D.C. and gives you the behind the scenes look at America's history of crime. You start off by learning about Alcatraz - The well-known prison that also sparked inspiration to the design of the museum. Then you go into learning about crime during the dark ages and throughout the museum, you learn about more modern crimes including sociopaths/psychopaths, shootings, massacres, and many others. They have on display several different models/sets including cars, jails, execution devices, and many more. The most popular of these is O.J. Simpson's Ford Bronco that was used in the famous police chase after the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. They have a laboratory where you can learn more about autopsies, toxicology, fingerprints, and more. They have information on cold cases such as The Black Dahlia, Jon-Benet Ramsey, and Natalee Holloway They even have temporary exhibits that are usually held during certain anniversaries. Currently, till August 17, 2019, they will have Passion For Life: Nicole Brown Simpson due to 2019 marking the 25th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. Alcatraz East is so interesting that you could spend all day there.