10 Movies Every Young Woman Needs To Watch.

Here are 10 movies/television shows that have inspired me, educated me, and connected with me as a young woman and I want others to experience the same thing.

75
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1485846234645-a62644f84728?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1480&q=80

Little Women (2019)

Although the story was written in the 1800s, the lessons and values in this movie are timeless. Director Gretta Gerwig does an incredible job of capturing what it is to be a woman. It highlights challenges and celebrations within a woman's life. Each sister in the story is vastly different which makes it easy to relate to at least one of the characters and learn from them. Also, I would highly recommend reading the book by Louisa May Alcott.

Girls (HBO)

This is my all-time favorite television show. It follows three different women through the battles they face in their 20's. It is jam-packed with coming of age moments and conflict resolution. It's full of incite about healthy and non-healthy relationships.

13 Going on 30

It's a classic and it's one of the only romantic comedies that doesn't center around a man. The story is about a woman's journey to find herself and she just so happens to fall in love along the way.

Broad City (Hulu)

There aren't very many "life lessons" per se, but it's a hilarious show about two young women living in New York City. Just trust me on this one, you won't be let down.

Sex and the City (HBO)

Though some of the content may be outdated, this show is such a foundation for women. It talks about the importance of friendship, relationships, sex, independence, motherhood, sexuality, and just womanhood in general. The four women the show centers around are all very different which reminds us that there isn't a "right type of woman". Women can lead many different kinds of lifestyles and none of them should ever seem less than the other. Also, this was the first public television show that featured a vibrator.

9 to 5

Who doesn't love Dolly Parton? This movie really shows women that inappropriate behavior from men should never be tolerated in the workforce, or in general for that matter. The movie also has a lot of historical background. It was a big deal when it was released because feminism was such a new concept at the time.

Amelie

Yes, it's French. Yes, you will need to read the subtitles, but it's worth it. This movie reminds women that it is so possible to meet someone in real life. This story inspired me to stay off of the dating apps for a whole 9 months. It's a beautiful story about a woman discovering real authentic love within herself and with someone else.

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)

This show is very dark, so I suggest you don't watch it all at once. It makes you really realize how important women's rights are. It will make you angry in just the right way for just the right reasons.

Hot Girls Wanted (movie) and Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On (TV)

Both of these are on Netflix. They dig deep into the sex work industry and give a new perspective on women involved in that line of work. It's something I think every woman should be educated about.

Period. End of Sentence

This short documentary is on Netflix. It's about a group of women in India who come together to create feminine hygiene products since a majority of India does not provide them in stores. There is so much shame attached to menstruation in India, and these women are determined to solve the problem.

Obviously, there are many more films/shows that are equally as important to view as a young woman, but these are my personal favorites. I hope you enjoy.