10 Things You Miss Most About Your Mom While You're Away

For every kid out there that misses their mom an embarrassing amount.

1849
Jamie Clarke

No matter where you are or where you go, there's always one universal constant: you're probably going to miss your mom along the way. Whether you're going to college and doing everything you can to make her proud or you're beginning your own life further away from home, there's going to be a little, notable ache in your chest when you realize that you really, really miss your mom.

But in the end, it's important to remember that "leaving the nest" is part of growing up, as sad as that can be sometimes. And though she misses you as much as you miss her, starting your own life is what she wants for you too.

That doesn't mean you don't miss a few things about her, though. Like...

1. Her cooking.

This one is a go-to. There's something inherently awful and sad about not eating your mom's home cooked dinners. And the thing is, it only gets worse as you either eat gross dining hall food or try to cook yourself and it just ends up horribly.

2. Her taking care of you when you're sick.

The worst thing about adult life could very well be having to take care of yourself, and it only gets worse when you're sick. You have to make your own soup, take your own temperature, tuck yourself in, and get your own medicine. Sometimes all you want is your mom to give you a kiss on the forehead and to fluff up your pillows before you fall asleep.

3. Her biased opinion.

Your mom is always on your side, no matter what. She wants what's best for you regardless of any other kind of circumstance. Whenever you need a pep talk, or you need to complain about a roommate or friend, she's your go-to. No one is rooting for you more than your mom, so there is no one better to go to than her if you feel lost or need a pick me up.

4. Her listening.

Similarly, no one understands you quite like your mom. And no one will listen to you and your nonsense more readily than her. She's always willing to hear what you have to say or complain about, and no one can offer advice quite like her; she knows you better than anybody.

5. Her stories.

Moms always have wild stories from their pasts as teenagers that we all love to hear. And sure, she might tell you the same story at least 5 times each, but after a while of not seeing her, you kill to hear those same stories again. Some of them get better each time you hear 'em.

6. Her nagging.

We all know nagging comes from a place of love and caring-- she just wants to make sure you're doing well and that you're on top of your game. As annoying as it is, let's be honest: without her nagging, you probably would not have gotten half of your things done. Now, when you have to keep track of your own schedule all on your own, having a little Mom Nagging Alarm would be quite helpful at times.

7. Her music.

At least for me, my mom's generation of music defined my own music taste. Music is always flowing throughout every crevice of my house on the weekends, between the Cars, Duran Duran, Queen and David Bowie, it's easy to miss that relaxing environment. Whenever you hear a throwback, amazing oldies song from the '70s or '80s, you immediately think of your mom listening to it.

8. Her smile.

No one has a smile quite like your mother. Everyone thinks their mom is the most beautiful mother, and she only becomes more beautiful when she smiles. It's your mother's smile that has gotten you through awful middle school bullying times, boy and girl problems, fights with your friends and everything in between. There's nothing more comforting than your mom's smile, and nothing more beautiful.

9. Her hugs.

This goes without saying: your mom's hugs are the best hugs. A mother's hug could fix any ailment, any problem and all sadness-- it's proven fact. When you get down or stressed, sometimes the only thing that can help is a hug from your mom.

10. Her love.

Your mom loves you more than anything in the world, and you love her right back. At the end of the day, it all comes down to you missing her love. Though you're away from her, she loves you just the same, and she always will. Being away will make your reunion that much sweeter.

Go give your mom a call and tell her you love her, folks. She misses you just as much.