10 Struggles Of Going To A Small College

It's not all bad.

10
Tia Jackson

Most people that I graduated high school with ended up at huge colleges, such as the University of Texas at Austin (UT), Texas A&M, New York University, Texas State and the list goes on. But I, along with five other graduates from my high school, ended up at the University of Texas at Tyler. I knew it was a smaller college, and the campus was much smaller than, say, UT, but I didn't exactly know what going to a small college would be like.

1. You have the same people in all of your freshman classes.

That same boy who only ever shows up to class for the tests is in your biology, calculus and psychology class. He visits class so infrequently, you wonder how you even recognize him.

2. There's always that one person who seems to know everyone.

You'll just be at a party, relaying a story that happened earlier in the week during your art history class, and a girl will say, "Oh, my God, are you talking about Emily? She's so funny!" and you didn't even mention a name. She just knows.

3. You can wake up 10 minutes before class and still be on time.

OK, this one is subjective, because I take my time to make coffee and find a semi-clean t-shirt, but seriously. It only takes you the duration of a Drake song or two to get to class, so why rush?

4. The barista at the library Starbucks will be expecting you.

I'm a total Starbucks-obsessed, money-wasting human, so Starbucks was a regular pit stop after my biology class. Every MWF, I stopped at the library Starbucks across from my apartment and got the same grande iced white chocolate mocha every time. It got so out of hand, the barista didn't even ask me what I wanted anymore, and he'd launch into a story about how I shouldn't skip class (because I'd skipped on Monday, so I hadn't stopped at Starbucks that day).

5. You see the same people every MWF that aren't in any of your classes.

You start to walk past the same person so much that you feel the need to wave and ask how their day is going. My roommate once got so stressed out about a girl because she saw her everywhere. By now you've figured out they're coming from the engineering building and are now on their way to grab Subway (and you know it's Subway, because you see them with their Subway cup half an hour later).

6. There's literally no parking. Like, ever.

You can live 10 minutes away from the school and leave 20 minutes before your class, but if your first class isn't until 11 a.m., you can kiss that front row parking spot goodbye. Us crazy 8 a.m. class-takers grab those spots even before most faculty members get the chance.

7. Your professors know your name, and probably your major.

Either your grades and attendance are so bad they stick out like a sore thumb, or you're just a decent college student that attends class. Regardless, your professor knows your name and has no qualms with saying, "Hello (name)," outside of class. Make the most out of this.

8. You have more than one class with more than one roommate, and it was totally unplanned.

Before moving in, I never asked my roommates about their classes. I just knew our majors: Biology, kinesiology, nursing and anthropology (I think). But that didn't stop me from having my 8 a.m. biology class with Kayleigh, two classes with Kalen and one with Ali. It's almost inevitable, but it's nice to know you can skip class and still have the notes, and you'll always have someone that's down to study with you.

9. Srat life or no life.

Yes, I know there are an absolute ton of groups and organizations to get involved with in college, but the best way to get involved with your school is through a sorority or fraternity. When you go to a small school, it seems like everyone is in a sorority or fraternity, so what better way to become friends with most of the student body?

10. You have to be really careful with your hookup choices.

One-night stands or casual party make outs are all fun and games until you go to your four-hour chemistry lab and realize that guy is actually in your lab, and also sits behind you in your history class.

If you related to any of these, then you chose a smaller school rather than larger. And while some aspects of smaller schools aren't always appealing, the good outweighs the bad!