Credit: Huffington Post
Pin It
// At SUNY Geneseo

10 Struggles Of A Grammar Nerd

As told through a series of brilliantly amusing memes

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Grammar is an extremely important part of successful writing. However, some people take it a bit more seriously than others. There is a select group of people in our society who tend to be a little anal about proper grammar. We are called the grammar nerds. Not sure if you're a nerd or not? If you relate to any of the struggles below, chances are you definitely qualify.

1. You go way overboard on peer editing.

You just cant help it! When your professor suggests that you trade papers, its basically going against your nature if you dont mark every grammatical fault. By the end of their paper, theres definitely more red pen than there is black ink.

2. You correct your friends' texts to you.

It drives you physically insane when your friends send you a text that has a grammatical error. Whether they use the wrong form of your or too or there, YOU'RE fairly sure that THEY'RE about to get whats coming TO them. Which is probably a response back that looks something like this:

3. You immediately lose all respect for places that don't use proper grammar.

There is absolutely nothing worse than reading something at one of your favorite places and noticing an error. You cant possibly forgive something like this. Sayonara, place-I-will-never-view-the-same-way-again.

4. Your hatred of the word "alot" is expressed. Daily probably.

This is mainly because of the fact that it isn't a word. You wouldnt say abunch or aton, so what we cant figure out is what provokes humans to use alot.

5. When you're looking for a relationship, correct grammar is a must.

Can you imagine spending the rest of your life with someone who doesnt use proper grammar? If yes, then you are most definitely not a grammar nerd. Wed probably go insane.

6. You die a little inside when someone calls it "grammer."

I have no words to explain how frustrating this is. I physically cannot elaborate.

7. You most likely hate "Twilight."

And, no, not because of the giant plot holes and sparkling vampires, but instead because of the utter disgust it serves to the literary community. Not only are there countless grammatical errors, but Meyers writing is really just pitiful in general. Sorry teenage girls, everywhere, but "Twilight" is no work of art.

8. At some point in your life, you've shared a grammar meme on your social media (perhaps passive-aggressively).

No one can blame you though, theyre pure gold. Besides, what better way to let your friends on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr know that their grammar is shameful than with a meme with subliminal messaging?

9. You're the one that all of your friends go to when they need a proofreader.

Paper due the next day and your roommate wants someone to read it over? You got it. Important email that your friend is sending? Youll make sure it sounds ok. Youve even proofread texts to your best friends crush. But you dont mind, its flattering that they respect your grammar skills that much anyway!

10. You may get a lot of judgement, but you wouldn't rather be any other way.

Enough said.

A proud shopaholic, vicariously living through Friends (the TV show), and the queen of sarcasm.

Like Odyssey on Facebook