10 Small Ways You Can Improve Your Outlook Daily

It's amazing how much of an impact that small changes can make.

138
Pexels.com

As young adults, so much pressure is put upon us. Those of us in college feel extremely pressured to do outstanding in all our classes, obtain multiple job interviews, have a healthy social life, eat a certain way, dress a certain way, and so on. Many of us no doubt can feel overwhelmed and overburdened during this time of our lives, and stress is becoming as common as the common cold.

I, for one, tend to get very ovrewhlemed and stressed myself, but I've found that through making simple daily changes, my whole mindset can be improved, thus lowering my stress levels and increasing my positivity and productivity. Self-care is vital, and everyone can and should practice it.

Here are 10 simple ways you can change your daily life for the better:

1. Aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night

In college, getting more than 5 hours of sleep per night seems like a luxury, but waking up refreshed or not has the largest impact on your day and productivity. To fix your sleep schedule, limit distractions such as television, social media, etc, and focus on the tasks you need to complete. If you know you have something due, aim to start it a few days early so you're not up late cramming to finish/study. Health comes first, and sleep is the key to a healthy life and proper brain development. You also will feel so much better both mentally and physically if you allow your body to get the rest it needs. If it's hard to adjust at first, try getting 7-8 hours every two days, and then increase the days each week. Your biological sleep schedule will realign itself the more you work on this.

2. Wave to everyone you see

Whether it be that nice girl/guy from class, coworker, professor, teammate, even a complete stranger, if you smile and wave, you will be making a positive impact on their day. I can't begin to explain how much my mood improves when someone I recognize from class or extracurriculars stops to say hi to me, or when other people I didn't think even remembered me from past classes decide to wave hello. It's simple, free, and effortless. If you are kind to others they will be kind right back. It also makes you feel good knowing that you made someone's day a little brighter.

3. Put your phone down for at least 2 hours each day

Our phones have literally become a digital extension of ourselves. They can be very addicting as well and can even effect our whole day depending on how we use them. Cell phones have been attributed to increasing issues such as stress, anxiety, and depression. Sometimes we just get too caught up in this digital world and forget about the actual world around us. What I have started doing is putting my phone down for at least 1 hour every 3 hours. I have found that this has allowed me to reconnect with my surroundings and stress less. Not being right in the online loop all the time is very healthy, and you are able to recollect your thoughts and feelings. It also brings feelings of peace and grounding, which can certainly help to lessen any worries.

4. When something doesn't go right, instead of thinking negatively, try to find a solution

Face it, things are going to go wrong every day. It's part of life. Whether it be a parking ticket or a fight with a friend, learning how to properly handle each situation is crucial for improving your mindset. A good way to start doing this is whenever something goes wrong, try to find something positive within the problem, even if it's the smallest thing. If not, then at least try to think of a positive solution. For instance, you could think "wow, that was a really rude thing she said, but maybe she's having a bad day." Or think "wow I can't believe I got a parking ticket, at least I now know where not to park again." Life is a series of actions and reactions. How we react to the actions that occur in our daily lives will dictate just how we conduct ourselves in this world. It will determine our mood and outlook as well. Trying to think more positively each day is no easy task, but it is well worth it once you make this way of thinking a habit.

5. Try not to analyze every conversation/text message

Texting is literally the death of communication and the end of sanity as we know it. It leaves so many things misinterpreted and can literally drive some people mad. For instance, you could send a text to someone intending it to mean one thing but then they interpret it as meaning something completely different. Or you could text someone and the other person won't respond, leaving you wondering if something you said pissed them off but in reality, they just got distracted and forgot. (No wonder texting is one of the leading causes of failed relationships...). My advice, going off of personal experience, is to just not overthink text messages or the amount of time that you or the other person reply within. A text is a text. Don't make it more than it is. Rather, do the "old-fashioned thing" and either calls them or meet up in person. This change in how you view texting can really improve your day, as you can put your energy into things that actually matter and not into what every word and emoji may mean. How someone treats you in person is what you should analyze, not their texting habits.

6. Aim to eat at least one unprocessed thing at each meal

In college, it can be very hard to eat a consistently "healthy" diet. However, there are so many ways that you can improve your eating habits and overall health. If you have a meal plan, aim to have at least one vegetable/fruit with your meals. If you cook for yourself, stock up on unprocessed fruits and vegetables. Eating clean won't only improve your physical health, but your mental health, too. When you feel energized and healthy, so does your mind. You may not notice these changes at first, but over time you definitely will start to feel your very best. This also assists in boosting your mood and reducing stress and anxiety as well. The body and mind are closely connected, after all.

7. If feeling overwhelmed and stressed, take a 15-minute quiet break

I can't emphasize this enough. You are not a machine, you are a human with thoughts and feelings. If a task is becoming overwhelming and too much to handle, step back and take 15 minutes to just relax and think. Stress-breaks are vital to not only the success of your work but your mental health, too. It allows you to recollect your thoughts and ground yourself. Too much work and responsibilities being thrown at you all at once are not healthy. Take some time out of your day to simply not think at all, and calm yourself down. Nothing is more important than your health.

8. Listen to your favorite music

No matter how anxious, sad, or aggravated I am, nothing helps me feel more positive than listening to music. I have a playlist for just about every mood, and I swear by it. Music does wonders. It speaks what our feelings can't. Taking time out of your day to listen to music and forget about your problems is very healthy. Music can improve your mood in ways that nothing else can.

9. Wear your favorite_____

Is there a certain perfume, hair accessory, shirt, dress, etc that immediately makes you feel like a new person? Wear it! When you look good, you feel good. Stepping out dressed in your favorite___ will almost certainly improve your outlook on the day.

10. Smile

When all else fails? Smile! It may sound corny I know, but studies show that if you smile, your brain releases "happy" chemicals which in turn actually improve your mood. Smiling also makes you come across as a more friendly, positive person in general. So as the song says, just smile!

Of course, there are many more ways you can improve your daily outlook. You need to find what works best for you. What I listed above are the ways that have personally helped me to lead a more healthy, positive-thinking life. I hope my tips were helpful!