10 Simple Ways to Send Some Sunshine to Others

"Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31

702
pinterest

Whoopi Goldberg said, “I don’t have pet peeves like some people. I have whole kennels of irritation.” I feel you, Whoopi; and with our country as divided and irritated/ irritating as it proves right now, tensions are high and patience is low. So, instead of watching America tear itself apart or let the negative vibes bring us down, what can we do? Plenty, actually. There are countless ways we, average citizens who just want everyone to get along, can add a little bit of sunshine during dark and uneasy times. Some solutions might take more thought than others, but most prove very simple and just might make the world of difference.

1. Compliment a stranger.

One day, a lady in the grocery store told me how pretty my lipstick was and asked me where I got it. Now I can talk to anyone for days about lipstick, so this really made my morning. If you see someone whose style you admire or whose pretty hair you notice, tell them! Everyone appreciates a compliment from a stranger, because they are never forced and always genuine. Even if you just stand next to them in line at Target, compliments act as bolts of lightning that just might zap someone out of their crummy mood.

2. Hang your own clothes up at department stores.

We’re all guilty of it: tossing our less than flattering picks onto the floor of the dressing room, then rushing out to find a different size. It’s lazy and pretty disrespectful to those who work there, even if rudeness wasn’t our intention. Instead, let’s just take the 13 seconds needed to hang the dress or blouse up and put it on the “no thanks” rack ourselves. Rather than giving the poor high-schooler working at American Eagle more work to do for no reason, let’s make his day by simply doing the right and easy thing. Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine!

3. Pay attention when you park.

Good grief. If anything ticks a person who’s already in a bad mood off, it’s a VW Bug taking up two or more parking spots. But hey, it’s an easy fix! Pay attention to where and how you park. Those white lines you see painted in a box-shaped pattern in almost every lot across America? Those are actually meant for your car to fit between. Ask any of my friends, and they’ll tell you I’m the worst parker on the planet, but at least I try. It might take me 450 attempts, but by golly I will straighten my car up and leave room for everyone else if it takes me all day.

4. Smile while walking down the street.

Smiling is easy. It’s free and takes no extra time because you can do it while literally doing almost anything else; so show those pearly whites every chance you get. I’m not suggesting cheesing like a goober and freaking everybody out, I mean just looking pleasant while you walk and saying “good morning” whenever appropriate. Your smile might remind others that they have reasons to smile, too.

5. Pick up a piece of trash off the sidewalk.

Only the shunshine-iest of people help keep our country clean! Every time I walk around campus and see a stray taco bell bag or a Styrofoam cup, I scoop it up and toss it away. Again, it’s easy, cost-free and will only take a quarter of a second if you’re already near a trash can. You just might inspire those around you to do the same.

6. Don’t crowd the door to the elevator.

This one is seriously simple to do, but seriously frustrating when not followed. When waiting for an elevator, guess what will probably happen when the doors open? People just might step out of it! So standing directly in front of the elevator doors with a cocked heel and momentum already worked up to slide onto the elevator only ends in an awkward dance between you and the people trying to get off. Stand to the side and chillax for a second and you can get right on in once the elevator passengers are off. People will notice you patiently waiting to the side and I guarantee they will appreciate your sunshine-spreading self.

7. Offer sincere help.

Sure, this one might prove a little more time consuming than simply taking a half step to the left of an elevator door, but it’ll make a huge difference and win you plenty of “sunshine-spreading” points. Do you see a man struggling to open his car door because his hands are full? Swoop on in and save the day. What about a mom and daughter visiting your campus who seem a little lost? Same deal. There are plenty of little things we can do to help other people and make them feel grateful they live in such a wonderful country.

8. Don’t talk on the phone while checking out.

First of all: rude. You don’t even need to hang up the phone, just say “wait one second I’m about to check out” and I guarantee your grandma on the other line will understand. The cashier is a human being too, and I’d bet it will make a world of difference if someone asked her how her day was going instead of completely ignoring she even exists until it’s time to grab the receipt. Politeness proves the most effective in spreading that sunshine.

9. Put your shopping cart away.

Every shopping cart not left in the middle of a parking lot sends one more ray of sunshine out in the world. Again, be courteous in the little things, and soon the bigger things will follow.

10. Hold the door open for someone.

This small gesture lets others know you notice them. Of course, there's a distinct wow-this-awkward-why-are-you-doing-this distance rule when it comes to holding a door open for someone, but generally it's just a thoughtful thing to do. If you think they may have to sprint over to you, they're probably too far away. But if they're close and coming through the same door, give a nice smile and a "here ya go". Small gestures make the biggest difference!

Now you have a handful of little ideas on how to make America a happier and less stressful place. Let’s challenge each other to show courtesy and kindness to everyone we meet, whether janitor or CEO. Everyone deserves respect and everyone deserves to be appreciated!