10 Signs You're Living in the Wrong Time Period

Some telltale signs that you're not from this century...

1227
Kinoko Pilka

Ever felt a little out of place in today's society? Ever thought that, based on your interests and values, you weren't exactly with the times? Maybe there are occasions where you even tell yourself that you're living in the wrong decade or century. If you have ever felt this way, you certainly aren't alone. Of course, we are blessed to be alive today, but here are some telltale signs that your head and your heart just might be from another time.

1. You wish there was more REAL communication in the world.

There's a lot of good that has come from today's modern technology, and it has certainly made communication more convenient, but has it really made it better? Don't get me wrong, I love the instant connection you receive via smart phones and other gadgets, but there comes a time when it gets old, and I would much rather just communicate in person. It's hard to feel close with someone or express emotion over a text or Snap chat. Can we get some more face-to-face, personable communication up in here?

2. You find most of today's hit music to be utterly appalling.

What ever happened to music with real meaning? Lyrics that extended beyond partying, hookups, and breakups? Granted, some of my favorite bands and artists are current, but you likely won't find them on whatever junk is listed on the Billboard charts. Today, you often have to dig deep to find music with a unique sound and quality lyrics - whereas real, sophisticated music was still common place just a few decades ago. I am not afraid to say that I listen to classics such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Matt Monroe on a regular basis, and I think it's safe to say that music like that is timeless and cannot ever be recreated.

3. You have a love and appreciation for classic literature.

Just like music classics, you truly appreciate what the authors of the last few centuries have to offer. It's the complex story lines and the author's beautifully scripted way with words that win you over. The books that many people dread picking up are the ones you can't wait to dive into - sometimes over and over again! Remember those summer reading lists your high school teachers used to give you? You probably spent your summer behind those books, too.

4. You continually question the existence of manners.

Since when did it become 'cool' to not have manners or treat people with a little respect? Today, people who exemplify manners beyond the dinner table seem to be few and far between. I'm not saying people have to hold their pinkies high during afternoon tea (fun fact: sticking your pinky out is actually considered to be rude), but a little humility and respectability never hurt anyone.

5. You don't comprehend current dating trends.

Whatever happened to picking up a lady at her doorstep and shaking hands with her father on the first date? Now we text somebody that we just pulled into their driveway and don't even care to open a door or two for someone. Today's dates consist of maybe going to see a movie, hitting up a bar or club, or the infamous 'Netflix and chill.' Why can't we go back to walks in the park and ballroom dances every once in a while?

6. Speaking of dating...what's up with how people flirt these days?

Flirting has gone from actively expressing interest in a person face to face, to swiping right from someone's picture we see on Tinder. That's not to say that some people aren't still formally flirting, but this practice definitely isn't anything like it used to be. And I don't know about you, but I would much rather be pursued in real life and time than receiving insincere (and sometimes downright creepy) messages or hits from people on phone apps.

7. You are saddened simply by the way people talk these days.

The trendy lingo of the twenty-first century is on a continual downward spiral. Where we got the idea to say things like "lit," "squad," "fam," and "gucci" in everyday conversation - I have no clue. I wouldn't mind seeing these words die out as quickly as they became viral, but I have a feeling that our lingo may continue to get much worse before it gets any better.

8. You consider your personal style to be vintage.

You're probably the kind of person that finds significant value in classic style - whether it's clothing, furniture, or other decor. You like pieces that are timeless and restored - something that has a story to them. You may collect antiques, and you often purchase quality over quantity because you want things to last a long time.

9. You enjoy the simpler things in life.

You never feel an undying need to surround yourself with the latest gadgets and gizmos, or cluttering your living space with things that you simply don't have much use for. You like to live simply, and enjoy the little things like sunsets and dancing in the rain. You often find yourself wishing we lived in simpler times.

10. You often wish people would put more value into things.

This generation and time period is all about instant gratification, and then the second that gratification is over - or if it's never found in the first place - we toss it to the side and quickly move onto "the next best thing." People of this day and age can sometimes act very entitled - like they want everything handed to them and they don't care to work for it. Certainly, these characteristics do not pertain to everyone today, but they do seem to be significant trends in current society. You may be just the opposite of this - you know that anything worth having or attaining in life takes time, hard work, and a lot of patience. But at the end of the day - you know it's all worth the wait.

If you are someone who often feels they are living in the wrong time and place - do not be discouraged. There are ways that you can implement the timeless values that you find important into your everyday life. You can still hold onto what you care about today, and use that to find happiness in tomorrow.