10 Reasons You May Not Have Been Cast

10 Reasons You May Not Have Been Cast

A letter to all from the child of a director.

14
10 Reasons You May Not Have Been Cast
Wagner biro

I am the child of a high school director. If I learned one thing from that, it is that there is always a reason you were not cast as a certain role, usually a very good one. So, I've decided to be very honest and tell you all of the reasons, you may not get the role you want. As a director's kid, I have seen it all and decided to pass it on to you. So here we go:

1. You're attitude is terrible!

If you role up to rehearsal and complain about everything, your director will remember that. They will remember that one time you were petty because the show wasn't what you had envisioned. So you may not be the lead next time around. I've seen so many people lose roles because of this. Just have fun and relax!

2. There was someone who worked extra hard on their audition.

Sometimes someone also wants what you want. Sometimes they'll get it. Chances are they worked just as hard as you or harder than you. The director will always pick what's best for the show. No matter what, the show will be fun, and you'll be fabulous wherever you're put!

3. You aren't very good at auditioning.

I've seen this a million times. People work so hard, but sike themselves out at the audition because they get too nervous. Just breathe! You got this!

4. You were lazy last time.

If you have earned yourself a role and are too lazy to learn your lines, don't ever expect a role again. You missed your opportunity. We all make mistakes and you messed up. Sometimes you just gotta live with it. Try to prove yourself wherever you're placed and work hard!

5. You were rude to a cast member or crew member.

When I say cast and crew, that also includes costume designers. My father always said the minute you are rude to your costume designer is the minute you are kicked out of this theater. He stayed true to that too. They put a giant P.A. on the top of your audition sheet and throw it in trash. Just be nice and polite!

6. You are a "Schmactor."

Ok so let me explain. A Schmactor is a person who overacts everything. It makes it incredibly to cast you when you don't know how to chill. Just calm down and maybe go get some acting lessons.

7. You have dyed your hair an unnatural color.

Do what you want to your hair, but when you can't be the lead in the play, don't get upset. Seriously if you dye your hair an unnatural color, you can't be the majority of people in a play unless your willing to get a wig or dye it back. Just wait for summer.

8. You are not a good singer.

OK this really can't be helped, but you can't expect to be the lead in a musical if you can't sing well. Go get yourself some voice lessons. Your director is gonna do what's best for the production, and if you don't try, it might not be you.

9. You're entitled!

OH MY GOSH!!!! So many people have been put on the ensemble because they think they are much better than they are and feel as if they are owed every role. Let me you something, you are owed nothing and deserve squat. OK? #puttheentitlementintheback

10. You're not what they're looking for.

Sometimes you just aren't what they are looking for, but believe me, with training and a good attitude, you will be one day. Sometimes things really take a lot of commitment and hard work. I have had voice and dance lessons for years just trying to get better, and I'm still not the most amazing thing ever. Sometimes things just take extra work.

I hope you don't take any of this too seriously, but please use this as a guide of how not to behave if you want to be cast. Always remember you earn a role, not just with talent, but with character and the way you treat others as well. I hope you shine and break a leg