Why You Should Feel The Bern For Hillary

Don’t feel like you’re voting for the lesser of two evils -- vote for a great candidate you believe in

7
Bridget Higgins

Like many, I’m very disappointed that I won’t get to vote for Bernie Sanders come November. I love him; I kind of want to be adopted by him. He’s a dreamer, just like President Obama during his campaign, and I really, really want him to be president. However, I am not completely angry that Hillary Clinton will (most likely) be receiving the nomination. I’ll have to admit, I didn’t like her right away. To me, no one will make a good president just because they’re female. But because I don’t want to feel like I’m going to have to vote for the lesser of two evils, I decided to do some research on her campaign and her stances on various issues.

Though some of Hillary's plans seem far-fetched, I will admit that this is the case with all of the candidates. Many of her ideas are actually pretty rad, so I’ll be excited to vote for her on Election Tuesday. She might not be who I originally wanted to vote for, but I still think she’s a wonderful candidate who will do great things in her presidency.

Clinton wants to make college affordable and help people with their student loan debt.

As president, Hillary wants to create the New College Compact, a piece of legislation that will do two things: make in-state college affordable and community free, and make it more possible for those with student loans to repay them. Four-year in-state college tuition will be reduced to a point that (hopefully) no one will have to take out a loan to pay for tuition, it will work on a sliding scale. Repayment of loans will become easier, since you will only have to pay back 10% of your income.

LGBT rights will continue to be expanded and be made more equal in Clinton’s presidency.

Clinton plans to pass the Equality Act in Congress, since in over 30 states, it is still possible to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. She also plans to ban harmful and often dangerous conversion therapy for minors. In addition, she wants to increase rights for LGBT people in the military, by allowing transgender individuals to serve openly, and ensure that any LGBT veteran who was dismissed on the basis of sexual orientation receive the same benefits as any other veteran.

She will continue to tackle the issue of women’s rights.

Though it is no surprise, Hillary is dedicated to fighting for women’s rights. She will protect reproductive rights to ensure abortion is kept safe and legal. She also wants to tackle the issue of equal pay for women, so than no woman earns less working the same job as a man. Additionally, Clinton will create mandatory paid family leave, and try to make childcare more affordable for when women choose to return to work.

Clinton wants to take on the massive issue of sexual assault on campus.

As president, she wants to improve three areas of sexual assault. First, she wants to ensure all survivors are provided with enough support post-trauma. Second, she wants to strengthen criminal proceedings for those who have committed sexual assault. And third, Hillary plans on increasing sexual violence education on consent and being a bystander, both in college and in secondary school.

Before the election, Hillary worked with the United Nations on the issue of rape used as a type of warfare and helped to create guidelines to deal with the war tactic. Now, she wants to deal with the issue of sexual assault on American soil, ensuring all who commit sexual assault are treated like any other criminal, both on campus and in the criminal justice system. Her goal is that all sexual assault cases filed on campuses and in the criminal justice system will be taken seriously and no one will fight to protect the criminal.

She is committed to protecting and expanding the Affordable Care Act.

Clinton supports the Affordable Care Act, more commonly known as Obamacare, and wants to continue to expand it. She plans on lowering the premiums Americans who receive their insurance under Obamacare will have to pay so insurance becomes more and more affordable. She will fight to lower drug prices, and keep access to abortion and contraceptives safe and easy for women. Though her plans do not yet entail free healthcare for all, they are many steps in the right direction.

Hillary will treat drug addicts like patients, not like prisoners.

Instead of locking them up and throwing away the key, Clinton wants long term success for addicts. She wants to cut mandatory minimum sentencing for drug addicts in half, and focus on rehabilitation rather than criminal proceedings. She recognizes that this isn’t just a poor people problem, it’s an anyone and everyone problem which causes reduced productivity, overloaded healthcare and criminal justice systems, and high (but preventable) death tolls. Not only will she make rehab a priority, she wants to expand drug prevention programs for young people to hopefully stop the problem before it starts.

Criminal justice reform will happen during a Clinton presidency.

An astounding 25 percent of the world’s prison population is in America, despite the American total population only making up five percent of the world’s total population. Even crazier, two million of those are nonviolent criminals. To help fix this problem, Hillary wants to reassess mandatory minimum sentences, and cut many in half.

To help nonviolent criminals currently in prison, she will apply the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, to allow those nonviolent criminals to seek shorter sentences. Once criminals leave prison, it is usually extremely difficult for them to integrate back into society, so she plans to help those previously incarcerated individuals safely and easily reenter society. In addition, Clinton plans to stop the privatization of prisons. Private prisons prevent policies to ensure the safety of prisoners as well as provide opportunities for rehabilitation. By making prisons federal entities, all aspects of prison life can be improved upon and regulated.

Clinton will strengthen gun control and begin to fight the NRA.

Clinton is serious about ending gun violence and has several first steps to deal with the issue. First, she wants to require federal background checks before purchasing guns. To make sure this is done before every gun purchase, she will close the Charleston Loophole, which now allows people to purchase a gun if their background check is not completed within three days. In addition, she wants to close off gun sales online and at gun shows, which now enable people to easily and quickly get their hands on weapons.

Hillary wants to completely prohibit the purchase of military grade weapons, believing that these types of guns are never necessary for civilians to own. She also wants to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a law that prevents individuals for holding gun manufacturers and dealers accountable for gun violence. Her plans attack the issue from all sides and are excellent first steps in fighting the problem.

Climate change is a real concern, and during Clinton’s presidency, it will become one of her top priorities.

Clinton envisions an America leading the world in clean energy. She wants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and use of oil by 30 percent, as well as reduce overall energy waste by 30 percent. Within 10 years, she wants to see all homes powered with clean energy. To do this, she will install the Clean Energy Plan, which will provide funding for states to improve clean energy options. Though her plan overall seems less than possible, her commitment to transitioning to clean energy is unwavering, and during her presidency she will likely work with a team of environmental experts to improve and refine her plans.

As a country founded by immigrants, America will open its doors to more immigration and continue to help immigrants as they enter American society.

On the wall separating Mexico from America, someone painted the words, “Where Dreams Bounce Back.” For so many, America is the land of opportunity so long as they have the opportunity to enter the land, which is often not the case. For those people, their dreams really do bounce back. To keep the American Dream moving forward, Clinton wants to create an easier path of immigration, giving everyone an equal shot at citizenship, even for those currently undocumented people in the US. She is committed to protecting families and preventing them from being split up.

Once they enter the US, Clinton plans to help immigrants better integrate into American society by providing them with English language classes and access to education, and equal access to jobs with equal pay. America will be the land of opportunity for all, not just the select few who are considered most desirable.