10 Reasons Why You Should Become An Organ Donor

10 Reasons Becoming An Organ Donor Should Be A No-Brainer

You could heal 60 lives, and change countless.

15725

More then 120,000 people in the United States alone are waiting for their second chance at life, an organ. On average, 22 people die a day waiting for that chance. Additionally, every 10 minutes another name is added to the national transplant waiting list (https://www.donatelife.net/statistics/). The reasons to become a donor are endless, but here is my personal list of reasons why you should save a life.

1. 60 is the number

Up to 60 people can benefit and heal from your combined donations of tissue, organs, and corneas. You have the power to give a mother, father, grandparent, friend, and a child back to their loved ones for a second chance at life. Most people know the story of Jeni Stepien who asked the man who received her father's heart in a donation to walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. This story shows how the memory and a piece of a loved one can live on and make a difference in someone else's life. You can learn more about their story here.

2. Movement is magical

By your donation of tissues, ligaments, and bones you are able to give the gift of movement back to a person. Think of a child taking their first steps, a mother being able to run, and a friend being able to dance. The gift of movement changes a life.

3. Age is just a number

Legally, you have to be 18 to sign up by yourself, but with parent consent, anyone under 18 is eligible to donate. Also, there is also no age limit! In 2016, the world's oldest organ donor donated her corneas at age 107.

4. FREE & EASY

It is absolutely free to sign up to be an organ donor at http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/. Follow their three steps of registering to become a donor, inform your family and friends of your decision, and share with others of why you became a donor.

5. It could be you in need

It could be you, or your family members. Wouldn't you want the gift of life to be given to you or your loved ones? To be given a chance at life again? Life is unpredictable and you never know when an emergency or health condition will arise.

6. There is a gap

According to Donate Life's article, 95% of Americans are in favor of organ donation but only 52% are registered. This is surprising because as I already mentioned, it is free and easy to sign up. Also, all major religions accept donation and some even encourage it.

7. The list is blind

Unlike what most people think, the organ donor list does not prioritize the famous or the wealthy. You can be from any state, from any racial background, or male or female. According to Trans Web's article, "Organs are allocated according to strict rules that take into account physical matching, tissue and blood type matching, medical criteria, waiting time, severity of illness, etc."

8. Tattoo? No problem

According to The Wall Street Journal's article, "Anyone who dies can be considered as a potential donor, and tattoos don't preclude organ donations... Potential donors and organs are tested by doctors before a transplant is made."

9. Live donations? Possible

One of the most needed organs are kidneys. Over 3,000 people are added each month to the waiting list and 13 people die a day waiting for a kidney (National Kidney Foundation). As long as one kidney can support your bodily function of removing waste, you can donate one kidney while you are living. You are also able to give two lobes of your liver because over time your liver is able to regenerate itself (Organ Donor Gov)!

10. Not ready to donate life?

A less major donation you can make is a blood donation. Every two seconds in the United States someone is in need of blood. To put it in perspective, Red Cross Blood states that a single car accident victim can need up to 100 pints of blood, while the average donation is only one pint. Donating blood is a completely safe process. Your body will replace the blood lost in only a matter of hours.

"The measure of life is not its duration, but its donation" — Peter Marshall

So why not become a donor today at http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/?