5 reasons why you should become a foster parent

It’s okay to get attached.

26

443,000. That's how many kids are in foster care on any given day. The numbers continue to rise every day and that means the children continue to need a family to love them and support them in their most vulnerable time. Every time I tell people I am a foster parent their first question usually is, “Don't you get to attached?" My response is “yes, and that's okay!" These children need that attachment. They need all the love you can give them.

1. Generational trauma

When you decide to become a foster parent, you are helping their future. No matter how long the child is in your care, or if you get as far as adoption. You are helping fix so much trauma that has gone on in this child's life for many many years. You are able to teach them about life, show them how to take care of themselves. You can show them a healthy and stable life style, these are all key parts for when they have children or their own. They will strive to do better because they were able to first head experience how a healthy, secure household makes a child successful in life.

2. There are so many children that grow up not in a home environment.

Group homes provide bare minimum to help children out. They offer safety, some structure, and basic needs. But what about love, support, bonding, and nurturing? Group homes resemble nothing that a family home does. Every child needs to have some individualizations to their routine, but in group homes you have about 40 or more kids to take care of and staffing problems. Where as in a family, they might have 2 or more kids to take care of and that is easy to make individual plans based on needs.

3. Fostering creates community

And, you might even become a foster parent to help your community. What a unique way to go above and beyond for your community, other than a bake sale or a 1 dollar auction. There are probably kids in your community who are in need of care, and it would be great for them to stay close so they can have visits with parents, be able to stay at the same schools, and continue with all the resources that they have had their whole life. While you are fostering, you have your community surrounding you.

4. Children need your love

You help with the healing process children will go through. Loving on children has a long lasting effect on their life. Even if it's something small. Children who get love and attention on a daily basis experience increased social skills, resilience, a higher self esteem and so much more.

5. The rewards are countless

You get to learn new things everyday. You are helping birth parents heal. You are giving children a brighter future.

Becoming a foster mom was by far the best thing that has happened to me. Yes it's hard, yes it's a roller coaster ride, yes you get attached. But it doesn't matter. What matters is you have a home, you have love in your heart, and you're ready to help children grow while they are in your care.