10 Reasons we miss College Football Season

How the NCAA stands out from every other sport on Game Days

31

College Football has an atmosphere like no other. The players, the pregame rituals, the student life, everything bonds together in a memorable and spontaneous way that it feels almost surreal. Even if you're a graduate, college football season is that one time of the year where you dawn your favorite team jersey and root against rival schools. Instead of spoiling what makes Game Day amazing lets take a deeper look into those small details that make College Football incredible each year.

Reason 10: Everyone is Family on Game Day

College football is only as good as the people you spend it with. Regardless of where you go the fans you will be seated next to are just as passionate and energetic as you. So in some ways these people are your family for the day. You laugh together, scream together, and even sit in silence together as a field goal wins the enemy team the game. It's a lot of fun just chumming it up with fans new and old. You may even make a couple of friends along the way.

Reason 9: Schedule

Team schedules change every year to allow for more expanded competition among conferences. Think of them as a melting pot where everyone is thrown in for a chance at the national title. Sometimes these changes will bring tougher teams together for a bloody, but satisfying battle. Other times they'll bring easier teams together for a more laid back experience. Schedule changes also allow for rivals teams to have reunions if they haven't played each other in a while.

Reason 8: THE FOOD

Food goes with football the way peanut butter goes with jelly. It just makes sense. College football season brings with it food from all walks of life. Its even better if you're from out-of-state!! You now have a one way trip to getting some delicious food from either a local vendor or a happy community of die hard fans. This can range from Barbecue to Chicago style hot dogs. Whatever it may be the experience will be so much better with a game and your favorite people.

Reason 7: The Student Section

This one might seem a little low, but hear me out. The student section is arguably the loudest and proudest portion of the college stadium experience. Here you find an assortment of different students and social groups. Whether they be a fraternity or a group of art students. That being said the student section can often be the most hostile area. We're not talking fighting, but rather trash talking. Students are found yelling, screaming and chanting against the other team. If you're into that chaos then the student section isn't for you. All-in-all the student section is the heart and soul of college football.

Reason 6: Rivalry Games

College Football Rivalries are among the most entertaining games found each year. Few teams have rivals that they absolutely despise. For Florida there's Georgia and for Oklahoma there's Texas. Rivalry games are intense not just for the players but for the students as well. Bands compete for pride while students compete for being the loudest. The days leading up to the game are exciting with students taking to social media to make predictions and trash talk. The campus is bustling with activity has rival teams adjust to their foreign environment. If you're one of the schools that has a committed rival then you'll be in for a treat.

Reason 5: Special Performances

A couple of games during the year, mostly the first of the season, will have a special performances before it. Perhaps a skydiver landing on the field or a fly over by a group of jets. There's been a couple of times where a band has even played. These performances are far and few but they add another lovely layer to an otherwise awesome day.

Reason 4: Winning the Game

It shouldn't be surprising that winning is met with a huge amount of fan hype. After a game full of turnovers, back breaking sacks, and poor defense, fans are overwhelmingly hyped when their team finally turns it around. Its amazing to witness a interception that lands your team in a spot to make a touchdown or a field goal to tie it up. Fans from both sides scream louder as the gap in score closes. It's only in the finally seconds that your team scores and the crowd erupts in celebration! Moments like this are frequent and will make an average season game spectacular.

Reason 3: Band Performances

Every talented college football team comes with an equally talented band. Band Performances are the pinnacle of College Game Day. They get the juices following and prepare fans for the upcoming game. The wonderful thing about college bands is that they are all unique. Each school has a certain style and look to their band. Not one group walks and plays the same way. Band performances make the student experience feel more special and reminds the old-comers that their traditions haven't died out. Most notably band performances are highly complex and arranged in way that audiences are hooked.

Reason 2: Fight Songs and Spirit

School spirit is extremely important at any College in America. Without it students lose that drive to participate in any school activity. School spirit during games is rewarding in way that can't be described. Each school has it's own fight song or spirit song that has certain lyrics and hand gestures that make it stand out. The best part is everybody memorizes the fight song which leads to a stadium of devoted fans singing in unison.

Reason 1: Tailgating

Yes, at the end of the day tailgating is the most important part of College football. This one should be no surprise to anyone who has enjoyed college or football. It's a ritual that has spanned more than 100 years and has been interwoven into sports culture. Not attending a tailgate party for a college game is like not attending Disneyland. You be crazy to skip out on something that everyone enjoys and talks about. This is when friends and family come together to banter or fraternities come to party. The list can go on and on, but the point stands. Tailgating is the life of college and football. Without tailgating everything falls into chaos.

So what is there to learn from all of this? Well for one thing the season is a must for a successful and fun filled fall semester. Whether you're a new fan or someone not particularly interested in football I highly recommend you attend a game for the experience. Maybe then you'll see why every one craves college football each year.