10 Reasons To Apply For Youth Tour

10 Reasons To Apply For Youth Tour

Written From a Student Who Went on the 2016 Iowa Youth Tour
24

Many Rural Electric Cooperatives across the State of Iowa participate in sending high-school aged youth on the Iowa Youth Tour, a trip to our nation's capital, to learn more about the cooperative values and impacts that they have on our communities. Throughout the trip, the tour engages in hands-on learning, immerses youth in the culture of Washington, D.C. and creates once in a lifetime experiences with freindships that will last a lifetime. Below are ten amazing reasons to visit Youth Tour, but there are many more simply too numerous to list.

1. The Uncertainty

When I stepped foot in Des Moines, IA to meet the other delegates, I really didn't know what I was walking into on this trip. With about thirty delegates from across the State of Iowa, these people are about to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will impact each other's lives and owners of many Rural Electric Cooperatives across the state!

2. The Food!

Come Hungry, Leave Happy! From a Half-Smoke at Ben's Chili Bowl to a Burger at Five Guys Burgers & Fries you are sure to be full as you immerse yourself in the culture of Washington, D.C. and eat like a local!

3. The Run with Senator Chuck Grassley

It's a tradition! Get up at roughly 3AM, drive to Senator Grassley's home and go for a run! It's time for some real one-on-one time with a Senator that will remain an experience unlike any other!

4. The Pin Trade

Iowa's Pins are worth quite a bit mainly because they are CORN NECKLACES. Let the war break out between the states and see just what happens....

5. The Hill

Have you ever had a personal tour given by an office representative of one of your elected officials? The Capitol Tour is an amazing thing, especially with these guys because you bypass the normal tours... and may even get to see some other things too!

6. The People

The Keynote Speakers are AMAZING! We even had one from Iowa and he met all of the 2016 Presidential Candidates when they visited!

7. The Peacefulness...

Whether it is a boat ride on the Potomac or the tour at the Tidal Basin, you are sure to kick back a little and have a ton of fun in the process!

8. The Changing of the Guard

Guarded continuously since 1937, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is one of the most sacred places in Washington, D.C. Watching the Changing of the Guard is amazing, but being selected to lay a wreath is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that gives the feeling of honor and astonishment.

9. The Family

After spending every waking moment with the same people for the duration of the trip, these people are no longer friends... they become family, just like rural electric cooperatives across the state.

10. The Chaperones

Shelly has experience and a lot of it in planning this trip! With seven Youth Tours under her belt, she knows how to do it right! Youth Tour would not be the same without Shelly leading the way and it is because of her work year round that the Iowa Youth Tour is the best Youth Tour in the nation!

HOW CAN YOU BE SELECTED FOR YOUTH TOUR?

For more information or to see more photos from the 2016 Iowa Youth Tour visit https://www.facebook.com/IowaYouthTour/ or contact your local Iowa Rural Electric Cooperative today!

PS: If you win a trip on Youth Tour it doesn't stop there. If you want to become politically involved, then Youth Tour is the trip for you! With all the perks of the Iowa Youth Tour, one that many do not know is the perk of becoming a part of Rural Power, a non-partisan advocation group that promotes safe, reliable, affordable energy delivered in an environmentally, responsible manner. In the next election, watch for green shirts like these headed your way!