10 Reasons Why You Should Try Swing Dance

It's totally outside your comfort zone, I knew that prior to asking you to come dance in the first place.

1696

Swing Dance. If you've been a part of my life the last 8 months or so, you know that Swing is a HUGE part of it. Beginning in August of last year, I started going to weekly lessons at UMD. Best. Decision. Ever. My mom always told me to find something that creates a fire inside of you, and Swing is just that flame. I have never made such an effort to follow through with any hobby like dance before. Not only am I just in Swing, but I took up Hip-Hop as well. Swing Dance has opened my eyes to so many different people and lifestyles, it's amazing. In Swing Dance, there are a few different "styles". There is East Coast Swing which originated from Lindy Hop. Both are rhythm dances that have both 6 and 8 beat patterns. West Coast Swing I could go on and on about the dance, but I'll just give you 10 reasons why you should try it.

1. It's Probably Outside of Your Comfort Zone (And That's OK!)

"Haha, I would try, but I can't dance." The amount of times I've heard this let me tell you... It's totally outside your comfort zone, I knew that prior to asking you to come dance in the first place. Who willingly (besides me and like four other people on this earth) would stand up and say, "yes, I'm totally ready to shake my stuff infront of a crowd to a dance I've never experienced before!"? You're not alone. Throughout my time with Swing, I have met so many amazing people and created memories that I'll never forget. Who cares if you suck? As long as you have fun, that's all that matters!

2. It Looks Really Fancy

I never really understood how beautiful the dance was until I began watching other couples dance. Swing isn't just spins and flips. It's about the connection between both dancers, and how they express their story on the dance floor. Blues, Lindy-Hop, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, all of those dances have their own stories and every couple reveals them differently - it's really beautiful. Even if you sit their and spin your girl the entire time, you look better than Mr. Robot across the room.

3. Aerials? SO. FUN.

I know the thought of being flipped in the air by someone you probably just met sounds a little intimidating, but let me tell you - when you see someone nail an aerial, you become instantly jealous and want to nail it yourself. Between the Mermaid, and The Can-Opener, aerials in Swing Dance vary from sexy to fun to straight up dangerous. Most of them are fun, but all of them are do-able. (Also, if you get lucky, your partner will make you feel weightless, and what girl doesn't like that?)

4. You'll Be A Pro At Asking Girls Out (On the Floor)

The very first step in Swing Dance, is asking someone to dance. Typically the men ask the women, but that's not always the case. By the third or fourth question, you'll be a pro. Sometimes you get turned down, but you politely say "Thank You," and move on. No hurt feelings on the dance floor. Who knows, maybe that one question will lead you to the person of your dreams? *wink*

5. You Get To Dress Up

I LOVE the Swing Era and the clothing that went along with it. Pin-Up Curls, Ruffle Socks, suits, big skirts, ugh - I'm obsessed. I love that you can dress up and look like you're from the 40's or 50's and not get weird looks. There are some amazing outfits that couples wear dancing. The men look so romantic, and the women are just stunning.There is just something about the "look" of Swing that is so intimate and modest and mesmerizing. Would you really say no to a handsome man in a suit politely asking you to dance? NOPE.

6. You Can Brag To Your Friends / Show Off In Public

"Look what I can do! Look what I can do!" This kind of goes with the aerials topics, but if you and your partner are in the same friend group, odds are you'll be able to show off multiple times. Maybe you'll be at a school dance and a song comes on that you and your partner practiced to at the last lesson, break it out! Show everyone what you can create, I promise they will be jealous. It's also super fun dancing around older couples because they get to see a little taste of what they used to dance like when they were young.

7. Everyone Loves A Good Dancer

I'm not sure about you but if someone can dance, I automatically get drawn to them, and I want to know them. It's so attractive when you can find a guy that can not only dance, but enjoys it! I can only assume men feel the same about us women. Even if you are terrible at dancing but you don't care, people are going to love you. Everyone likes a goofball.

8. You Can Literally Do Any Type of Swing Dance To Any Song - Ever.

Did you know you can do The Electric Slide to any song? Now you do. You can also Swing Dance to any song. Depending on the speed, you can make anything work. Slower songs typically use two to three step motions (Blues), and faster songs use more Lindy-Hop, East and West Coast Swing styles. You can Swing to country, jazz, pop, even some Bon Jovi.

9. Mess Up? Go With It.

Everyone messes up at least once in a dance sequence. I can't speak for anyone but women because we don't have to come up with the moves - that's for the leads. Luckily because of that, we typically know what type of move the leads want. If we don't get the clear message, you mess up, you go with it. You can spin out of absolutely anything. You can let go and do your own thing if you really want to - I do.

10. You Can Do This!