10 Reasons Everyone Should Be A Server At Least Once In Their Life

Serving is no joke, and neither are all the valuable things you take away from being a server.

4588
Red Lobster

Being a server is, of course. not always a desired job. Many people look at serving as a part time job that gets you by while you're going to school or looking for another job. What most people do not realize is that being a server has many benefits. From networking opportunities to learning how to handle stressful situations, serving is a job that everyone should work at least once in their life.

1. You learn valuable life lessons and skills

Working in the food service industry is one of the most stressful yet rewarding jobs someone can have. You learn all types of life lessons and skills at this one job that most people would have to hold several jobs in order to learn. Some of the important things learned while being a server are things like how to multitask, how to work under pressure as well as in a high stress environment and good customer service skills.

2. It offers some of the most flexible work hours out there

While working as a server, employees essentially get to make their schedule and select their available days to work. If for some reason one of the employees doesn’t want to work their shift, they simply find someone to take it for them, and then they do not have to work. Being able to move around the days you work or even switch shifts with another employee is a luxury for most.

3. Fast money, easy cash

Being a server means that every shift you come in for, you essentially walk out with some amount of cash. While some nights are always better than others, the important thing is that if you know you have a bill coming up that you need to pay, or you need extra cash, all you have to do is try to find a shift from someone who doesn’t want to work. You don’t have to wait for a paycheck; you get to come in, work hard, and walk out with money.

4. It is a great opportunity to network and meet some very interesting individuals

While serving, you get to meet people from all walks of life that come into your restaurant. From the retired military to teachers and even producers of big TV shows, everyone has a story and most people are willing to share that story with you during their hour or so visit to your restaurant. The best feeling is when you have a table that really connects with you and remembers you enough to come back and sit in your section again.

5. You get in shape

Walking around an entire restaurant for an 8-hour shift is no joke. You are constantly on your feet, moving around between the different rooms and carrying 25 pound trays with you everywhere you go. This of course helps you get in shape. You’re working on your arms and back muscles by carrying trays, your legs by walking all those steps and your cardio by how many hours you are walking for. Between the lifting and the walking, burning 1000 calories in one shift is super possible, which of course is one of the many perks of serving.

6. You gain valuable food and beverage knowledge

When most people start off serving, their knowledge of food and drinks is very basic. As their time continues on with the company, however, they begin to gain more knowledge on the drinks offered as well as the food. Instead of being able to tell the guests what comes on an entrée or what comes in a drink, you begin to be able to tell the guests what spices come on their entrée and how it was prepared, as well as tell them what liquor is in their drink and how the bartender crafted their drink to perfection.

7. You learn people skills

Being a server means being around people 24/7. You have to learn good people skills in order to not only keep your job, but also bring in better tips. You quickly learn that the better you are at interacting with people, the easier your job will be. Serving is a constant day-to-day job that allows for people to come into work and learn how to work with all types of people, which is a skill that is very valuable.

8. You make some of your best friends while serving together

There is nothing like getting a zero-dollar tip on a $200 check. If anyone knows the struggle of the long hours at work on your feet all day, it’s a fellow server. While serving, you meet some of your best friends due to the simple fact that you bond over the experiences and struggles of working in a restaurant. When most servers get off work at night, it's anywhere from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. At that point, all you want to do is go get a drink and unwind from all that stress a little with people who understand you. This of course is why you normally end up making good friends with your coworkers.

9. You learn how to keep smiling though stressful situations

While serving, you are never allowed to have your tables see you break. It is almost like an acting gig that doesn’t end until the doors are locked and the last guests are out of the building. Every table you greet and serve should be done so in a way that they have no idea how bad your day has been or what crazy things may be going on in your life. Serving teaches you that no matter what happens, you’ve got to keep smiling and keep moving forward.

10. Serving makes you a humble person, and a good customer

When you serve, you see all of the things that other servers have to deal with. This means that when you go out to eat or you go to a bar with friends, you automatically know how to treat the staff. Instead of being the friend who only leaves two dollars, you become the friend who always leaves $10. You know from experience what it is like to work really hard for your tables and not be appreciated by them. In return this causes you to go out of your way to make sure a fellow server feels valued and appreciated when you are out.