10 Reasons Recruitment is Hardcore | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons Recruitment is Hardcore

6

Girls formal recruitment is a big event on Purdue's campus. We all take this very seriously and there are many rules to abide by.

This article is a short, funny way of showing how recruitment gets pretty hardcore.

Recruitment is crazy before it even starts. It is an important and stressful for the recruitment chair and the whole chapter has to purchase their outfits before they get to school. Here are some examples of why girl's formal recruitment is hardcore...

1. The outfits. If you're rushing or you are the PNM going through rush, the outfit is important. It's all about first impressions. The sorority has a specific dress code for each round. We all have to purchase our outfits according to what the recruitment chair wants. The PNMs usually dress to match the sorority for the round.

2. The timing. Not only is recruitment at a rough time (the beginning of the year), but its ALL weekend. It's hard for the PNMs because they are getting used to campus and college classes, while going through this stressful process. It's hard for the girls doing the rushing because we are locked in all weekend and have to rush all day with homework to do and quizzes to study for. 

3. Lock-in. Okay, lock-in is tough. It might only be for a weekend at a time but with 80+ girls being locked in together, we can all get a bit stir-crazy. We miss fresh air and freedom. We also go Instagram crazy. After lock-in is over, the house is a ghost town!!!

4. Chanting. Chanting seems like it would be no problem, but when you're chanting for 10 hours at the top of your lungs....it gets difficult. Half of the house either can't talk and should probably just walk around with a dry-erase board, or they sound like a complete man.

5. Snacking. This really isn't a problem because who doesn't love to snack? But I'm just saying I have consumed an excessive amount of Goldfish, pretzels, and Chex Mix. I miss real food that's for sure. I will be hitting up the gym after recruitment ends. 

6. Talking. Don't get me wrong, I love to talk...but after talking for 10 hours, I am done. I've honestly just gone through speed dating: recruitment edition talking to countless girls. After a round is over, I need silence. Also, I need to rest my face because it's throbbing for smiling so much.

7. Polished. Clearly, we have to look polished and presentable to rush all of these girls. Waking up at 7:00 a.m. and having to get completely ready is hard work. I'm sorry but I wear comfy clothes and look like a bum most days for class so getting up early, doing my hair and make up, and dressing up is a struggle.

8. Cravings. I'm locked-in and all I can think about is all the awesome food out there that I can't have delivered to me. I want a McDonald's diet coke and Chipotle! I love Jimmy John's but there's only so many #12 beach clubs a girl can consume. 

9. Trapped. Is it day or night? Is it raining or sunny? That might be a little dramatic but I miss fresh air. Locked-in isn't fun. I need freedom!!!!

10. Attitude. You have to have a good attitude. This is honestly supposed to be a fun, exciting process. At the end of this we get to welcome new members into our chapter. It can be completely exhausting, stressful, and frustrating, but in the end it's worth it. It's one of those things you work hard for and get to see the amazing outcome.