10 Realistic New Year's Resolutions for 2021

Some realistic and attainable resolutions for a happy 2021.

12
Photo by Isaac Smith on Unsplash

1. Eat what you want but in moderation.

Diet culture is so toxic. I know some people will tell you to avoid eating certain foods and to an extent, they are correct. But you should also take your own wants and needs into consideration. Make sure that if you are dieting, you are doing it to be healthier and make yourself and no one else happy. If not, eat whatever makes you happy, just within the correct serving sizes.

2. Be more active outdoors.

I know a pandemic is still going on, but that doesn't mean that you can't go outside. Run down the sidewalk if there is no one around, play ball in your yard, or go on a long walk around your neighborhood. These little activities outside will help to keep you active and get you the vitamin D you need while also making masks and social distancing possible.

3. Exercise to be healthy, not to lose weight.

If you choose to incorporate exercise in your New Year's resolutions, make sure that your goal is to be healthier. If you work out just to lose weight, it is easy to lose sight of the long-term benefits of exercise. If your goal is to be healthier then you will be more encouraged to keep up with a long-term exercise routine.

4. Think before you say.

Thinking before you say sounds like what your parents might have tried to teach you when you were younger, but it is still an important virtue today. Simply thinking before you speak your mind can make everyone around you so much happier.

5. Continue to social distance.

Yes, we are still in a pandemic. Yes, you should still be wearing a mask and social distancing.

6. Make your bed every morning.

I am guilty of not incorporating this simple practice into my mornings, but I am going to. This one little task that takes just a few minutes can start your day off with you feeling more accomplished and organized.

7. Learn to wake up early to an alarm.

If your sleep schedule has gotten as messed up by winter break and the pandemic as mine has, then you should make it a goal to wake up earlier and not press snooze on your alarm. This will result in you going to sleep earlier and feeling more rested when you wake up. You will be more prepared for your day.

8. Start doing what is best for you.

Being a people pleaser is not an easy trait to get rid of and to an extent, it is okay to put others before yourself. But try to use this year to do what is best for you and doing what you want to do. You deserve to have your needs fulfilled too.

9. Don't settle.

If someone in your life or someone who has yet to come into your life isn't treating you like the VIP you are, don't be afraid to make yourself a priority and cut them off. They don't deserve you if they don't treat you with respect.

10. Be more kind.

2020 has been a rough year for all of us. So in 2021, try to overall be more kind. Give people a few more chances than they deserve to communicate to you and give them a little bit of leeway. Human compassion is in short supply recently but it should make a comeback in 2021.