10 Rappers In South Korea That You Need To Listen To

"You can just enjoy the music without understanding it. Music is a universal language." -- CL of 2NE1

153
"Dirty Vibe" YouTube

Your ethnicity should not dictate whether or not you are "allowed" to rap or if you are deemed as "good". I am an avid follower of Korean Pop (K-Pop) music, and the first impressions that I am usually faced with are racist comments.

"What's this Chinese crap? Asians can't sing, rap or dance."

This is the "nicest" commentary on my music that I have heard (imagine what the worst is then). Instead of making stereotypical and racist assumptions, just check out the music. If you do not like it? Well, then leave people alone who actually enjoy it. If I respect your music, then respect mine. If you do think you might be into it, then ask me for some more. I would love to share the same music tastes as you even though I know it may not happen. So, here are my top favorite rappers in South Korea. Some are from the underground scene, and others are from actual K-Pop bands (every band has at least one designated rapper). For those that are already fans, I will admit that I am biased, or favor, older YG Entertainment artists. So, this list might not be for you.

10. Rap Monster

I know, I know. Before you say anything, you are probably wondering, "What kind of rap name is that?" Us fans still wonder the same thing, but it does not change the fact that his mixtape is an emotional roller coaster. Even if you cannot understand it, it does not make it any less heartfelt because you can still hear the pain in the fluctuations of his voice.

Here, you can check out his first full mixtape:

9. G-Dragon

There is no way that you can be a follower of K-Pop and not hear about G-Dragon or know who he is. He is compared as the "Mozart of South Korea." He is the leader of the group Big Bang, and known for his edgy, risky fashion choices -- especially his hair. Some make you say, "Wow, fantastic baby," and others are a bit cringe-worthy. He has worldwide connections with Will.i.am, Kanye West, Jeremy Scott, Justin Bieber, Diplo, Skrillex and a ton more people! Here is one of his most popular solo releases that is known internationally:

8. Tao (or Z.Tao)

Tao is a Chinese member of the Korean-Chinese mixed group EXO. He shattered millions of hearts when he abruptly left. He ventured off into a solo career; away from his bandmates and his company as a whole. You still cannot deny the fact that he could rap even if he did ruin your faith in humanity's loyalty. Here is a fan-made version of "Two Moons" (Chinese edition) and it is even color-coded so you can see which part is his:

7. CL

CL is under the same label as G-Dragon. She has the same connections he does and the two often collaborate to make some sick tracks. She is called "Queen CL," "The Baddest Female" and "the female version of G-Dragon" (the last she praises as a compliment); but please, do not call her the "Korean Nicki Minaj." She is her own person; not an "Asian version" of an American woman. She is set to debut in the United States, and this is one of her gifts to fans as we patiently wait for her:

6. Bang Yongguk

Hopefully, newer fans still know who is B.A.P. is. Even if you do not the members, you will be able to recognize Bang Yongguk by his massively deep voice. It sounds like rolling thunder, but it does not stop him from performing well-versed, fast raps. Here is Bang Yongguk performing in "One Shot," and yes, it is practically a mini-movie:

5. T.O.P.

Remember G-Dragon from before? Well, this is one of his bandmates. He, like Yongguk, has an impressively deep voice. His rap from "Fantastic Baby" is a timeless meme. He also does quite a few duos with G-Dragon, and some solos on his own. I present you with "Fantastic Baby" and "Doom Dada":

And his strange solo:

4. Jessi

Jessi became popular among international fans during her famous impromptu diss-rap on "Unpretty Rapstar." It was strange and although it probably was not meant to be hilarious, it is. She is Korean-American, born in New York and New Jersey-raised. Her behavior on "Running Man" (a variety television show) had her in trouble with her manager, but her bad behavior makes us love her even more. Here is some of Jessi's singing and rapping -- yes, she was originally a singer and it is just as impressive as her rapping! Below is one link of her singing and the latter of her rapping:

Her solo rapping:

And if you really want to see her amusing diss-rap, here it is:

3. Tablo

Tablo is the Prince of Rap. He is Korean-Canadian and even attended Stanford University. (Fun Fact: I have a quote of his tattooed on my arm.) He suffers from major bouts of depression and his pain is expressed through his music. If you really want to cry, then listen to all of his music. He produces for other singers such as Lee Hi, maintains his bank Epik High, and does solo work with other mutliple artist collaborations. His young daughter, Haru, is the prize of his life and is adored all across South Korea and even internationally for her cute personality and charms.

Here is music from his group, Epik High, which Haru gave her opinion on and they changed to fit her taste:

And this is his one of his solo songs:

2. Drunken Tiger and 1. Yoon Mi Rae

This duo is married, and they are fantastic. They do solo work, collaborations and perform in MFBTY (it has an additional member). They are older, underground artists with unique struggles. Drunken Tiger is Korean-American and Yoon Mi Rae is has an African American father and South Korean mother; she is also a Texas military baby. Both faced discrimination in the States, and it did not get easier when Yoon Mi Rae moved to South Korea. In fact, editors on television shows often tried to whitewash her skin to which she protested. The couple also supports and advocate for Black Lives Matter.

Here is Yoon Mi Rae's solo called "Black Happiness" in which she addresses the struggle of being mixed, the words her father told her, and coming to terms with her identity:

This is Drunken Tiger's "The Cure" featuring his wife and Bizzy (the member in MFBTY). There is a lot of hidden meanings and messages about his struggle to cope with his father's passing:

And one of the newest MFBTY songs, this is a hilarious flashback to the '70s and '80s:

These are my top 10 rappers in South Korea! I hope you enjoyed it, and please leave comments or questions below.