10 Questions I Still Need Answered ASAP About College
Education

10 Questions That I Still Need Answered ASAP About College

Even the experienced are still left wondering about the gaps in the showers and the word counts...

64

I've been doing this college student thing for three years now, and at the moment my sanity is only slightly intact. Gee, thanks, midterm papers and study abroad stuff.

Still, even with all this experience and chaos, there are still some things I don't know about college.

1. Are word counts really necessary?

I mean, maybe they're an incentive to get people to write more extensive papers, but it definitely can go the other way. The language can get awkward and redundant statements pop up everywhere. I personally think it's better to have a short good paper than a long crappy paper, but whatever. If you absolutely MUST have five pages...

2. What's with the gaps in the showers?

Okay, I get that there needs to be a little bit of a gap for the extra drain, but there doesn't need to be that big a gap. Um, people shower NAKED and most of the time don't want other people to seem them au naturale. My dorm bathroom had SQUARE dividers, as in GOD FORBID you dropped something and someone was in the stall next to you.

3. Who's the idiot (or alternatively, who are the idiots) who keeps setting off the fire alarm at night?

I'm dead serious. Do you think we like being sent outside in the middle of doing work, eating, or in the middle of a shower?

4. Do people ever get sick of Times New Roman?

I'd say fellow English Majors, but this can apply to anyone who's ever written a college paper. I've only noticed this while playing with fonts for an experimental writing piece. Has the default become second nature, or is it tedious to some people? Do even the professors who insist on this professional looking font wish they could see something more dynamic? (... that isn't Comic Sans. I still spit on Comic Sans.)

5. Why do freshmen feel the need to doll themselves up for class?

For those of you reading who are still doing this at this point in the year, this is unnecessary, unless of course you have a date or interview or something right after class. I've seen people dress up on the weekend just to go to the dining hall for an hour or two. Just, no. Trust me, you don't need to do this. Seriously, just taking care of your basic hygiene, throwing on something comfortable, brushing your hair, and running out the door is fine. No one's going to judge, high school is over.

6. Why did high school put so much emphasis on note styles?

Maybe they've never heard of PowerPoints on Canvas? But in all seriousness, for those professors who don't use one or both, notes are important, but why do we all have to follow a certain system? One of the many reasons I dropped out of AVID before high school was because I couldn't stand the Cornell Notes. From what I've noticed, not a lot of the other people liked them either. So far, my weird bullet system has worked fine. Heck, my notes for my film classes would seem unintelligible in a high school setting, but in actuality, I could write a more than halfway decent paper with them.

7. Do you really need to ask at random events if you're registered to vote?

*Sigh* Yes, I am — in my home state. We get it, our country is going to crap and young people supposedly aren't voting, but I think the last thing us stress-laden students need is a reminder that the country will implode if we don't vote. And maybe some of us want to stay out of the hell that is politics.

8. Why is it when I say that it won't get cold until the next break, it gets cold?

We were doing fine with the 60 degree weather here in Jersey, yet the minute I say I don't need a heavy coat, the temperature drops 10-20 degrees. Follow up question: Why does this never work with warm weather?

9. Why do I keep getting Starbucks every Tuesday and Thursday when it's clear I don't care for it?

I guess because those triple mocha frappucinos actually keep me awake for my early class, and I don't feel like waking up at 8 a.m. just to walk to Dunkin' Donuts like other people do?

10. Seriously, can we get paid every time someone asks about school?

Please? Our tuition would be paid off in no time!

Now that those are out there, I must descend back into the void that is midterms. Please feel free to answer. In fact, I encourage answers, as always with my question articles.