10 Problems Only Dance Majors Will Understand

Little problems that arise when you're a dance performance major

208
Julia O'Brien

College life is rough for every student. We are up late doing assignments last minute, we run to class just in time for the teacher to take roll, and we probably drink a lot more coffee than we should. But what about life as a dance major? For those who aren’t dance majors, it might be hard to imagine how a dance major is different from any other major.

I am in no way claiming a dance major is harder than any other academic area of study, but imagine having your normal general education classes and core degree classes, with eight dance technique classes a week on top of your work load, plus extra rehearsal time multiple times a week. It’s hard, and scheduling is always rough when it comes to trying to balance your dance life with all of your academic demands. Despite the crazy scheduling, dance majors always make it work, but it doesn’t come without obstacles. In addition to all of the struggles every college student faces, here are ten (weird) problems we dance majors face daily.

1. You start the day with about 24 bobby pins holding your bun together, but at the end of the day, you can only seem to find one or two.

2. You have to plan pedicures around performances because you don’t want the pedicurist to buff off the calluses you worked so hard to earn.

3. You have to plan and ration your dance outfits out ahead of time because you are so busy between school and rehearsal you probably don’t have time to do laundry.

4. Oh, and speaking of laundry, you go through about three outfits a day.

5. No matter how hard you work on your turn-out, you know there is an 10 year old in Russia whose turn-out is already past 180 degrees.

6. You also have to plan out meals because usually you only have about ten minutes to refuel before you have to be off to your next class or rehearsal.

7. After shoving food down your throat, you’re thankful your leotard sucks in your food baby.

8. When your hips crack loudly, and a non-dancer gives you this look

9. Between technique classes and rehearsals, you’re incredibly busy and barely have time for your actual academics.

10. You really wish you could dress up cute for school, but instead you walk around campus looking like this.