10 Places I Need To Visit In My Lifetime

If you haven't fantasized about making pasta while inhaling a cup of authentic Italian gelato, you're lying.

133
www.parisperfect.com

There are two things I find myself daydreaming about most frequently: food and traveling. Luckily, these often go together. I have yet to study abroad during my college experience, but that is more due to my dedication to my time at UVa than any lack of desire to travel. On the contrary, I have always been excited by visiting new places and understanding how the world works in different locations. This list is in no particular order, but it does reflect a series of places that I've known for a while comprise my "bucket list" of sites to eventually visit, whether via a school program or on my own.

1. Liverpool, England

As a longtime Beatles fan, this one is a no-brainer. Liverpool has actually been called the "City of Pop" for being home to not only the Beatles, but also dozens of number-1 hits dating back to the 1950s. Liverpool has so many Beatles-related sites to visit, such as Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, and the Beatles Museum, that I'd need several days to fully take in all of the sights. I fully intend to make this pilgrimage one day and satisfy my years of devoted fandom.

2. Paris, France

Perhaps a basic choice, but after taking French all throughout middle school and high school and watching several "look how pretty France is!" videos during class, I have been bitten by the Parisian bug. From the food to the art to the Eiffel Tower to the effortlessly chic fashion, I intend to visit Paris at some point, act like the cliche tourist I am, and munch on a croissant at an outdoor cafe. Bon appetit, indeed.

3. Las Vegas

This one is not for the reason you think... I actually have no interest in gambling or getting married by an Elvis impersonator, but I would love to visit Vegas solely to see the fabulous Cirque de Soleil shows that take place there. I've had my eye on one show specifically, The Beatles: Love for many years, but there's also the Michael Jackson show, Criss Angel's show (for those who like having their mind freaked), and many other shows that I have only experienced via their Google image results. Though Vegas as a location may not top my list of desired destinations, it has always intrigued me as a cultural institution. I would one day like to have something happen in Vegas and stay there, even if it's just a theatrical outing.

4. Costa Rica

I have long held a desire to zip line through the rainforest in a relatively safe and tourist-friendly location, and Costa Rica perfectly fits that bill. It is apparently one of the most environmentally friendly countries in the world and is a very popular vacation spot for those seeking thrills similar to mine. I've noticed that UVa has offered an Alternative Spring Break trip to Costa Rica in the past, and while I don't know any Spanish, I may just have to demonstrate considerable interest and get myself a spot on this surely fantastic trip.

5. The Grand Canyon

From what I've heard, the Grand Canyon is similar to Niagara Falls in that neither pictures nor videos can do proper justice to its awe-inspiring majesty. I do not necessarily look forward to the 110-degree heat that often accompanies a trip to the Grand Canyon, but I do long to stare down into that cavernous trench and contemplate my tiny place in the universe.

6. New Orleans

Another frequent site for UVa ASB trips, New Orleans has always fascinated me. It truly seems like New Orleans is its own little country surrounded by the larger United States, and not just during Mardi Gras. I am a fan of many foods that New Orleans embraces, such as gumbo, jambalaya, and beignets, and I also seek to see the delightful architecture in the French quarter for myself. New Orleans seems like a very colorful, lively place, which is generally the environment I enjoy best, and I can only hope that it would live up to my expectations if I visited one day.

7. Salzberg, Austria

Though I'm sure that Salzberg is home to picturesque architecture and delicious food, there is one main reason that I want to visit it. Salzberg is where one of my favorite movies ever, The Sound of Music, was filmed, and visitors to Salzberg can apparently go on a "Sound of Music tour" and travel through the sites made famous in the movie. This sounds like absolute heaven to me, and perhaps one day I'll be able to see if the hills in Salzberg are truly alive with the sound of music.

8. Alaska

Some of my relatives once went on a cruise to Alaska that sounded amazing, and though I am not a huge fan of cold weather I would love to see the majestic landscape of Alaska for myself one day. It would certainly be a trip outside of my comfort zone, literally and figuratively, but I think it would be inspiring to travel to somewhere so far from my current life in temperature and geographical location.

9. Switzerland

It's got the Alps, the cheese, the chocolate, and 2017 Wimbledon Champion Roger Federer. But beyond that, Switzerland has always interested me politically as a country that has been in the crossfires of some of the deadliest events in history, yet never seems to stir up controversy. I suppose if I were to eventually learn how to ski, this would probably be the place, but I would much rather travel to Switzerland in the summer and bask in warm sunlight while eating my way through my entire bank account.

10. Pretty much everywhere in Italy

If you've seen the second season of Master of None, you know that the first two episodes were almost entirely a love letter for the sights and smells of Italy. There were so many scenes where Aziz Ansari's character, Dev, was making pasta, eating pasta, talking about pasta, or inhaling delicious cheese. As someone with strong Sicilian heritage, I would love nothing more than to get a crack at a Mediterranean experience and fully immerse myself in my favorite foods of all time.

These episodes singlehandedly gave me the idea to consider studying abroad in Italy in the future if at all possible. As much as I cherish every day at UVa, I am aware that there is so much more to take in about the world that exists beyond the Charlottesville radius. I know that it is unlikely that I will travel to all of the places on this list, but I do hope that keeping them in mind will inspire me to travel as much as I can while I have the opportunities to do so.