10 Pieces of Advice for Middle Schoolers

You're only 13, it is going to be okay!

6299

Here is an article that 18 year old me is writing to 13 year old me and all other 13 year old kids out there.

10) Don't try so hard. You try too hard to figure out who you are. You try too hard to be friends with and help people who do not care about you. The right people will find you and you won't have to change a single thing because they are gonna love you for the sole purpose of who you are.

9) Don't change to fit in. All those other people that are acting differently than they used to are doing it to try to fit in, to try to be apart of the social norm. Do not change who you are or your behavior to match theirs. Be different and be unique. Be you because everyone else is already taken.

8) Don't try to grow up so fast. It is okay to still be okay. Take advantage of the fact that you are still young enough to act stupid and have fun and it be socially acceptable. Guys, don't try to act like you are a college age frat guy because you are not. Girls, don't pile the makeup on and dress way older than you are. It is okay to wear clothes that don't match. It is okay to wear not a speck of makeup. It is okay even when you get older. Just because people around you are doing it doesn't mean you should too!

7) Take advantage of your teacher's insight. I know you think they are just dumb adults that do not care. You think they are solely there to teach you out of a book and give you homework, quizzes, and exams but most of them do care about you on a personal level. Most of them realize that your mental health has to come before school. Take the time to reach out to them if you want someone to talk to; they will listen and they will help.

6) Relationships are not mandatory. You're 13. Most people can't even decide what they want to eat right away so don't expect to decide that you have found someone you want to spend the rest of your life with at age 13. Its okay to be in a relationship at age 13 but just don't take it too seriously.

5) Ignore the gossipers and the judges. People can be mean especially if they are trying to act older than they actually are. Do not let the gossipers and the people who judge have an impact on your everyday life. Eventually they will realize how idiotic they are acting and they will change.

4) Don't be so hard on yourself. You are gonna have some people around you that seem so certain of everything. The ones that say "Oh I am gonna go to college and be a nurse because that is what my mom does." They may one day do exactly that but probably not. You are going to have those ones that seem certain about exactly what they want in life; do not let this pressure you into trying to decide your whole life at such a young age.

5) Its okay to not play a sport. It seems like everyone around you has a club or a sport. It seems like you have to be in clubs and sports to be a person. You don't. Everyone has their thing and maybe your hobby is something that doesn't go through your school, its okay. You do not have to be apart of something you do not really like just to fit in.

4) Keep your circle small. Its okay to have a lot of friends but just be careful who you are telling your deepest secrets to. You may think they all care about you or that they are all your best friends, but they are not. Its okay to have a lot of friends but find the 2 or 3 that are true and keep them closer than the others.

3) Accept mistakes. Do not try to be perfect because you will fail. Those mistakes you make are what help you become what you will be when you are 18 or 19 years old. They will help you learn and help you grow. They will make you a lot stronger.

2) Headphones are a good idea. There are going to be times when you do not really feel like being around people. You are going to want a break from society and all the people around you. Putting headphones on and listening to music is a good way to be alone in a public setting. Let music help you.

1) TRUST GOD. Just because your family or your friends are not religious does not mean that you have to be. Trust in him because everything that happens happens for a reason. He loves you whether you love him or not and that should always be enough.