10 Perks Of Being The Oldest Child

10 Perks Of Being The Oldest Child

Being the oldest rules.

3140
10 Perks Of Being The Oldest Child
Franklin

Growing up with siblings can be a real struggle sometimes. They seem to always show up at just the most inconvenient moments and never shut up, no matter how many times you tell them to stop talking and go away. But despite all the trouble that being the oldest child can cause, there were many pros that came along with the position growing up.

1. You got to set the bar as high as you'd like.

Being the oldest, there are no precedents or expectations from your parents. That means whatever great things you do, they are automatically new and exciting for your family. Sorry, younger siblings, for being so awesome.

2. You felt a sense of responsibility at a young age to teach your siblings all the "important stuff" in life -- and they would believe you no matter what.

Having younger siblings looking up to you meant you got to tell them anything (really, no matter how silly, anything), and they'd always automatically believe you because, well, you're the oldest child after all.

3. You got to be bossy.

Younger siblings are somewhat like free labor. When they're young, they'll do anything to be cool, and who better to wash the dishes than them when you're too lazy to do it yourself?

4. You were the first to experience "big kid stuff."

Finding out the truth about Santa, getting a cell phone, or being able to stay out late -- there were many bragging rights that came with the eldest child role and you soaked up the opportunity to be a big kid every chance you got.

5. Being older means automatic dibs -- on everything.

Who gets to pick the TV channel? What about who gets to sit shotgun in the car ride to the store? Or who is the first one to use the shower? Being the oldest meant you could claim whatever you wanted and say, "I call dibs because I'm older."

6. Younger siblings are always your ego-boasting groupies.

Older siblings are looked up to for so many things, and although it could get annoying, you secretly loved how they would always copy your style, phrases, and habits growing up. Like they say, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

7. Standing up for little brothers and sisters made you feel tough.

NO ONE is allowed to bully my younger siblings except me.

8. Hand-me-downs? What are those?

Growing up, you were always the giver of hand-me-downs, but rarely the receiver.

9. You get to watch them grow, and you know you have built-in best friends for life.

Watching your younger siblings grow up is a bittersweet feeling. Being the oldest, you feel proud knowing you helped shaped them, and happy knowing they'll always be there for you.

10. Through it all, you've learned some pretty valuable leadership skills.

Beyond all the jokes and silly times, being the oldest has prepared you for life by teaching you how to help others, be selfless, and take responsibility.